suggestions on bits?

emilyangel3

New User
Visit site
hi, any suggestions on a slightly stronger bit for my 13yo connie? she’s recently become quite fit, resulting in her becoming a lot stronger. particularly jumping, shes always been strong but its got to the point where i am completely losing control after jumps (head down tanking off) and no amount of walking/trotting jumps and asking her to halt after, or placement poles etc seems to have worked. had another woman on the yard ride her and had the same issue. unless you have any other suggestions, could anyone recommend a stronger/different bit? she is currently in a small full cheek snaffle with lozenge, but doesn’t seem to be doing the trick :/
teeth and back have been done recently, am certain it is not pain linked, she has always been the type to get very excitable! nothing too harsh either. thanks.

smurf

Visit site
My mare is very strong jumping but I have found a flash noseband better than a stronger bit as she was opening her mouth to evade the bit. She only wears it for jumping but it really helps

Odyssey

Visit site
Kimblewicks aren't fashionable but are often good for strong horses, and with the slotted type you can use the slots (or not use them) to give more or less leverage. The curb action is less when the top slot is used, and as it doesn't have shanks it's curb action isn't that strong anyway.

Last edited:

C1airey

Visit site
If you’re happy riding with two reins, try something with a curb. No need to change the mouthpiece if the horse is happy in it, but a curb might give you something more in those ‘oh ****’ moments.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
The issue you describe is a training issue. You are doing nearly all the right things as you need to keep the hind leg active rather than them pulling you out of the saddle but I wonder if you are not being disciplined enough or strict enough about it. The halting thing tends to work quite quickly but I find a lot of people are really kind about it so send mixed messages. They need to stop immediately, not 3/4/5 strides later. You do this with a very strong aid to stop and keep the strong aid until the message is home.
You need to be very strong in your body as well so not to get tipped forwards. You also need to do it every single time you are jumping.

I hate people jumping behind me on the warm up out eventing as sometimes I will pop a halt in as on a big grey oil tanker who I do not want to up the bitting on. You also need to ask yourself is the half halt functional or effective on your horse. So many I ride will have a functional half halt, I half halt and something will happen but perhaps not to any degree of quality. An effective one means the horse will immediately rebalance and stay soft. I have to put a fair bit of time into getting the half halt how I want it on the grey oil tanker as she is very happy to ignore them.

A technique which I find works really well for getting them off the hand is to jangle the bit in their mouth. Every time they sit on my hands they will get this as an aid to say oi, carry yourself. Its a fine line between having a good contact though and them being heavy in the hand and certainly one I find hard jumping as I naturally like them light which is great for xc but not so great for SJing.

The other option is 10m circles before and after and staying on them until you have the correct balance which is where they are not pulling you down and they are cantering back in a good rhythm. I tend to use cavaletti a lot for this purpose. Will have them set up on 5, 4 and 5. I can then circle if they are not popping or going how I want. The 4,5,4 then works well to make me stay on the correct canter pattern. If I have everything how I want it I can then start playing with the striding and come on 5,5,5 for instance then come back round on 4,5,4. If you don't have enough space in your arena you can build the distances round the corner. So in in L shape.