Suggestions,or ideas please.

hunting mad

Visit site
3 1/2 months ago i had my ankle fused, 2 weeks ago i came out of cast,a week and a half ago i started back riding.
The problem i have is where my ankle is fused at a right angle,my riding feels very unbalanced and un stable.I cant put my weight down into my heal,and feel like im gripping up.Walking is fine,trotting isnt too bad and think will come,i can sit to the canter,but when i stand in canter i simply cant....i bounce all of the place.I feel its like this as cant get any weight in to my heal. I feel like im riding lop sided.
Any ideas on what would help,exercises,or aids???
Anything appriciated,as feeling very down about it,and wonder if i will ever ride properly again.

debsey1

Visit site
3 1/2 months ago i had my ankle fused, 2 weeks ago i came out of cast,a week and a half ago i started back riding.
The problem i have is where my ankle is fused at a right angle,my riding feels very unbalanced and un stable.I cant put my weight down into my heal,and feel like im gripping up.Walking is fine,trotting isnt too bad and think will come,i can sit to the canter,but when i stand in canter i simply cant....i bounce all of the place.I feel its like this as cant get any weight in to my heal. I feel like im riding lop sided.
Any ideas on what would help,exercises,or aids???
Anything appriciated,as feeling very down about it,and wonder if i will ever ride properly again.

Sorry, but it's still early days for you. You only have been out of your cast 2 weeks, it takes time your tissue, ligaments and muscles are still weak. If I were you stay in walk with the occasional trot to build up strength.

"Slowly, slowly catch a monkey" as they say!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
^^ that, plus would add lose the stirrups and get on with doing all the ankle circling, toe raises/lowers and other exercises that the physio should have given you to do whilst on horseback as well as when you're on the ground.

Brandy

Visit site
I would imagine you feel this way becuase your ankle can't move to absorb any movement in the canter? If it is fixed it will result in jarring/bouncing. Maybe you could try some of thise stirrups that are flexible?

hunting mad

Visit site
^^ that, plus would add lose the stirrups and get on with doing all the ankle circling, toe raises/lowers and other exercises that the physio should have given you to do whilst on horseback as well as when you're on the ground.

There isnt any physio as my foot and ankle is paralysed,hence why fusing.
Feels like i will never ride properly again.