Suggetions/Exercises for a rider with uneven seat.

telerimist

Visit site
I tend to sit to the left in my saddle, which results in my horse being heavier in the right hand. Tried no stirrups and being on the lunge without stirrups etc. Saddle was checked in January and refitted so that's fine. Any exercise to help with this as I presume it's a core strength issue?

Thanks in advance

dianchi

Visit site
Physio!

I have an issue with my left hip and my horses physio picked up tightness and sore points under the left side under where her saddle would sit. Off I went to physio and I only had 10% range movement in joint.

We spend so long (and money) on our ponies we forget about us till its causing them a problem!

telerimist

Visit site
Physio!

I have an issue with my left hip and my horses physio picked up tightness and sore points under the left side under where her saddle would sit. Off I went to physio and I only had 10% range movement in joint.

We spend so long (and money) on our ponies we forget about us till its causing them a problem!

Ahh didn't think of that! I do struggle with some range of movement but didn't think this would be a factor. Will look into it!

Chirmapops

Visit site
Do you mean you sit over to the left or you collapse down your left side so your weight goes that way because of that? If it's the latter, try riding while looking down and over your shoulder to your right heel - first in walk, then trot and canter when you're feeling braver. It'll help you break the habit of collapsing to the left - genuinely changed my life.

maxine1985

Visit site
I tend to sit to the left in my saddle, which results in my horse being heavier in the right hand. Tried no stirrups and being on the lunge without stirrups etc. Saddle was checked in January and refitted so that's fine. Any exercise to help with this as I presume it's a core strength issue?

Thanks in advance

Have you seen a chiropractor? It may be more than a core strength issue and you need treatment to sort yourself out.

When I start sitting unevenly its usually because my pelvis is 'out' Muscles have tightened on one side and causing un evenness! Couple of sessions and I'm usually sorted!!
They'll also give you exercises to help and also make you aware of how simple things you do affect your body. I always used to sit cross legged at my desk now I sit with both feet flat on the floor as constantly sitting with my legs crossed I was stretching one muscle more than the other making me crooked! Always carrying my bag on same shoulder causes me to lift my shoulder more on one side, again making me crooked, I now try and alternate! Hope that makes sense!

telerimist

Visit site
Have you seen a chiropractor? It may be more than a core strength issue and you need treatment to sort yourself out.

When I start sitting unevenly its usually because my pelvis is 'out' Muscles have tightened on one side and causing un evenness! Couple of sessions and I'm usually sorted!!
They'll also give you exercises to help and also make you aware of how simple things you do affect your body. I always used to sit cross legged at my desk now I sit with both feet flat on the floor as constantly sitting with my legs crossed I was stretching one muscle more than the other making me crooked! Always carrying my bag on same shoulder causes me to lift my shoulder more on one side, again making me crooked, I now try and alternate! Hope that makes sense!

Ahh that's very interesting! My horse has monthly physio and it's funny how we look after our horses more than ourselves!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Physio. I do the same and eventually saw a physio after a back injury over Xmas. The back injury wasn't a back injury, it was muscular problems caused by an issue in my hip. Had lost a lot of mobility in my right hip. She gave me stretches to ease the back pain and also stretches/ exercises to increase mobility in my hips. I think I had 4 or 5 sessions in total and seen a huge improvement. I also have issues with my core strength, which is really poor because I have been holding myself in a completely wonky way for so long. I feel like I am learning to ride all over again - I am straighter but not used to moving in that way. I used to leaning a bit to one side, I also tend to lean forwards a bit and balance on my hands because it avoids me having to use the hip that hurts. My hip and back are much freer now, but it is taking time to retrain my muscles. Physio told me I have to keep up the exercises for 16 weeks in order to get full benefit, as that is how long it will take for my body and muscles to change. I have a set of exercises I am supposed to do twice a day, and I find I stiffen up if I don't do them every day (at least once). It is all helping though :)

Firewell

Visit site
Take away your left stirrup.
I'm the same but to the right, yet when I take my right stirrup away it forces me to sit in my left seatbone and step into my left stirrup. I now warm up with no right stirrup and I hack with no right stirrup, it's amazing the difference it has made and now when I take back my right stirrup I am straight. It is also conditioning my body to be stronger on the left.
what is also helping hugely is Yoga and Pilates. I practice Yoga 2/3x per week and Pilates once. My body is now so much more even, stronger and flexible. It's also amazing for the physique and I am looking longer and leaner as well as being much softer in the saddle :). I know longer feel tight and stiff.
Hope that helps.

Crazydancer

Visit site
I'l second the Pilates suggestion - find a good teacher with a small class, ours varies from 3 to 8 ladies, that way the instructor can make sure you are getting everything right. Not only helps with core strength but makes you really aware of your body and balance.

soulfull

Visit site
It still maybe your saddle. Twice over the years I have had saddles made to fit. To have problems with keeping my left leg still. And losing my left seat bone

Both saddles check and check by fitters. However on both occasions the panels underneath were ever so slightly set off. Ie one higher than the other. It could only really been seen by turning saddle upside down and looking while someone else held saddle. Not so easy doing both

telerimist

Visit site
Take away your left stirrup.
I'm the same but to the right, yet when I take my right stirrup away it forces me to sit in my left seatbone and step into my left stirrup. I now warm up with no right stirrup and I hack with no right stirrup, it's amazing the difference it has made and now when I take back my right stirrup I am straight. It is also conditioning my body to be stronger on the left.
what is also helping hugely is Yoga and Pilates. I practice Yoga 2/3x per week and Pilates once. My body is now so much more even, stronger and flexible. It's also amazing for the physique and I am looking longer and leaner as well as being much softer in the saddle :). I know longer feel tight and stiff.
Hope that helps.

I tried this today and it actually make a difference! Will keep doing this til I see a physio! Thanks a lot

Fides

Visit site
There is a en ebook called Pilates for Riders - really good and can thoroughly recommend it!