Suitable dogs for older people

TGM

Visit site
Another vote for a show line whippet here, particularly if she can get a slightly older one and miss out the puppy stage. Ours doesn't need much exercise and although she likes a short run off lead she doesn't climb the walls if she doesn't get one for a while. She is extremely clean and avoids mud and puddles like the plague. If she does get a bit dirty most of it slides off her short glossy coat before we get home and the rest she licks off herself! Very affectionate and loves a cuddle on the sofa. Overall, she is definitely the easiest dog I have ever owned!

planete

Visit site
We,adopted an ex racing greyhound a few weeks ago. My OH is in his sixties and I am seventy six. He is the easiest dog we have ever had. He is affectionate,happy with as little or as much exercise as you want to give him, was clean in kennels and has been totally clean in the house from day one. We chose a six year old who had had a full racing career and he does not seem very keen on running any longer. We hired a field for him and the lurchers to run and he mooched around, sniffing and cocking his leg for the whole half hour so I have cancelled the next booking as he really seemed to be wondering why we were there instead of doing his normal walk. I must admit he has no guarding instinct whatsoever, could be a bit of a thief if you forgot food on the kitchen tops and is a hefty 33 kg but bitches come a lot smaller and daintier if size could be a problem. He requires the absolute minimum of grooming and dirt just falls off his short hair. If your mum was interested I would advise going to a reputable rescue where dogs out of racing are introduced to normal life and thoroughly asessed before being put up for adoption. We had an ex racing bitch years ago and she was just as easy and friendly.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
We,adopted an ex racing greyhound a few weeks ago. My OH is in his sixties and I am seventy six. He is the easiest dog we have ever had. He is affectionate,happy with as little or as much exercise as you want to give him, was clean in kennels and has been totally clean in the house from day one. We chose a six year old who had had a full racing career and he does not seem very keen on running any longer. We hired a field for him and the lurchers to run and he mooched around, sniffing and cocking his leg for the whole half hour so I have cancelled the next booking as he really seemed to be wondering why we were there instead of doing his normal walk. I must admit he has no guarding instinct whatsoever, could be a bit of a thief if you forgot food on the kitchen tops and is a hefty 33 kg but bitches come a lot smaller and daintier if size could be a problem. He requires the absolute minimum of grooming and dirt just falls off his short hair. If your mum was interested I would advise going to a reputable rescue where dogs out of racing are introduced to normal life and thoroughly asessed before being put up for adoption. We had an ex racing bitch years ago and she was just as easy and friendly.

He will run, just not this soon - they can take up to 6 months to decompress from being in kennels, all of mine started off as not being enthusiastic but they all got their love of running back ❤️

HopOnTrot

Visit site
Please please please can she have Basil, if we didn’t have our young dog I’d snap him up as a companion for our older dog, make sure you watch the video:

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Please please please can she have Basil, if we didn’t have our young dog I’d snap him up as a companion for our older dog, make sure you watch the video:

oh my god he is just down the road from me….. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Sadly our experience of rescues suggests they would not rehome to her, at her age, (80). We have always had an agreement that we will look after her dogs should anything happen to her. And her dogs always know us well, as they obviously come with her whenever she comes to stay. Which she regualrly does for over a week at a time. Daisy and her doggy cousins have been great pals. But rescues worry about dogs outliving their owners, understandably.

palo1

Visit site
Whippets need to run. I always wanted a lurcher but they need to run as well. Daughter walked an Irish terrier for an elderly man in hospital and then bought one of her own. But I grew up with a wire haired fox terrier and if OH dies (he wont have a dog) I shall buy a wire haired fox terrier. The only reason I dont insist on getting one straight away, is that I am still riding and he would need to look after any dog while I was at the yard.
Irish terriers are fab dogs but possibly a bit big to be genuinely pick-upable! They can be pretty high energy too though charming and devoted. A mini poodle would be a lovely choice for this setting though.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My 78 year old friend has a greyhound. She gets to run. Then she sleeps the rest of the day. The owner doesn't necessarily have to meet the same pace as the dog? Lurchers are slightly different in that they have blood from other, more uniformly active breeds.

Sorry just to clarify, the dog gets to run and then sleep all day, not the 78 year old 😬

Squeak

Visit site
I'd vote for a bichon or miniature schnauzer. The ones of these I've known have been such easy and delightful dogs.