Suitable event sire for "Miners Lamp" mare?

Tallybeau

Visit site
Hopefully someone can pont me in the right direction for a suitable stallion for my mare. She is due this june to a young scottish sports horse and all going well I hope to put her to a more proven event sire this year, however there are so many I cant decide, and am wondering what other owners would be drawn to if they had my mare. She is 15.2 full TB, sire "miners lamp", dam sire "nickel king". Wonderfull temprament, easy to train, good comfirmation, good paces, bold xc, SJ would be her weak phase. Im interested to hear any thoughts. Thanks.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Can you post a photo please as TB's tend to come in all sorts of shapes. Do you know what you want to improve on? When you say she has good conformation does that include her feet?

koeffee

Visit site
Hi i would use Craig, check Bellegrace equine on facebook, fab young event sire unproven to date but started amazingly well in his first event this year, awesome horse, first foals due at mon competition stallion soon, pics will follow!!!

TheMule

Visit site
To produce a very reliable and careful jumper I'd consider Weston Justice- he seems to produce double clear machines (we have one, she really jumps)

Foxfolly

Visit site
Mr Darco has gone very nicely over a pure TB mare, and also a nearly full TB mare with Java Tiger lines. We are also very pleased with our 2 colts out of a TB/KWPN mare. He's very much SJ bred but is Eventing himself and had a good first season last year earning 32 FP's. Very careful jumper, and can gallop well for a warmblood (Must be the bit of ISH in him ;-)!!) Oldest offspring is 3 this year, all nice types, very athletic!
PM me for more info as he is mine.. we are near Thirsk, N. Yorks. There is a pic of one of our colts on Baydale's thread on breeding about her 2yo's!

Sportznight

Visit site
PM me if you prefer, but I'd be interested to know your mare's dam's name and her year of birth - I used to look after Miner :)

With regards to pictures, if you create an account on www.photobucket.com, you can upload images on there and then copy the image (IMG) code on to your posts on here and then we can see the pics :)

Tallybeau

Visit site
Thanks Sportznight for photo help, will see what I can do.

Dam was "Cast Iron Alibi" she was born 2001, I believe she has a full brother, born 2000, but thats all ive been able to find out.

Last edited:

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
It is still considered worthwhile keeping as much TB when breeding eventers. Are you doing AI, do you have a budget to work to? Just trying to narrow things down a bit. Jaguar Mail might be worth considering as you are looking at a more established stallion. By the way she looks a nice mare will be nice to see the foal photos.

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
Many thanks for the heads up The mule. :) Weston Justice stock are now showing real potential and are good for both pros or amateurs. They have gone Intermediate and show signs of going further. Twemlows are having an open day on the 22 April and some of the best event Stallions will be there so come along.

Tallybeau

Visit site
Thank you everyone for suggestions so far, there are some very nice stallions out there that I didn't know about and are now added to my list of possibles - making decision job even harder! :)

Yes Magic104 I am considering Jaguar Mail but AI is not something I know about, natural coverings are all I've delt with so far but i realise i'd have access to these quality stallions so I'm looking into it.

Here's a pic of her first foal born in 2005, I sold him to a good friend when he was 3yrs & about 14.3hh thinking he would never grow big enough for me, at 5yrs he was 16.1hh and still growing! Sadly he is no longer with us as he broke his leg in the field last year. :(

http://blg.mypicturetown.com/cache/...6GpbzkQALHk.j4pg-3ZBBGovLV5-12/item.JPG?rot=0

Last edited:

Truly

www.shannonleighstables.com
You've got a lovely TB event pedigree mare and I personally think it would be a shame not to breed her to another TB with a great event pedigree.

I'd personally send her down to Primitive Proposal...I think any pro event rider would be queuing up for the ride on that foal :)

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
You've got a lovely TB event pedigree mare and I personally think it would be a shame not to breed her to another TB with a great event pedigree.

I'd personally send her down to Primitive Proposal...I think any pro event rider would be queuing up for the ride on that foal :)

Now I would not think of a TB for the simple reason that there are 1000's of them. So if your offspring is not brave enough for Eventing what then? The market is flooded with TB's, so I would be looking for movement & jump. Nickel King was 17hh so you could have a throw back to the bigger side of her pedigree (or the stallion used). I know that some breeders are now using a stallion that will inject more movement to help with the dressage phase, but a balanced canter between combinations is also needed. Brief Encounter crosses well on TB mares, but he is still a young stallion as far as offspring are concerned. I also know that Zamboucca has been used as a sire of future event horses, but again he is unproven. Another proven combination is the ISH, so something like Honour Cruise who has a good jump pedigree. Cash Point has movement & jump, but again unproven. Have a look at the top event horses & see how they are changing. You still need a high % of TB as they still need to have stamina & be able to cover the ground, but they also need a bit more for the other 2 phases.

You have a lovely mare with a good pedigree, so you have a wider option then most.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
She is gorgeous, looks like a few of the miners lamp's I've seen, also there must be something with High Top producing small uphill compact types with pretty dainty heads- my mare is so similiar to yours! she's a distant high top relative & the majority horses by her sire( beneficial ) look virtually identical.

I wouldn't want to use a pure Tb with your mare- perhaps something with Irish or Selle Francias lines that is stocky/strong limbed and tough looking , and has power,a good range of movement and jump.

Lots out there but my only advice would be to use a stallion with a good motherline (mother/grandmothers etc that have produced consistently good performers)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
After being at the Harthill Open Day yesterday I would be very inclined towards Power Blade, a very impressive sort with good credentials or even Ramiro B who seems to have it all. They showed 3 youngsters under saddle by him all like peas in a pod who had very nice techniques with lots of promise and he has no end of affiliated stock out doing everything well in all three disciplines. Sadly of course, they're all by AI but are well worth a look.

Truly

Now I would not think of a TB for the simple reason that there are 1000's of them. So if your offspring is not brave enough for Eventing what then? The market is flooded with TB's, so I would be looking for movement & jump. Nickel King was 17hh so you could have a throw back to the bigger side of her pedigree (or the stallion used). I know that some breeders are now using a stallion that will inject more movement to help with the dressage phase, but a balanced canter between combinations is also needed. Brief Encounter crosses well on TB mares, but he is still a young stallion as far as offspring are concerned. I also know that Zamboucca has been used as a sire of future event horses, but again he is unproven. Another proven combination is the ISH, so something like Honour Cruise who has a good jump pedigree. Cash Point has movement & jump, but again unproven. Have a look at the top event horses & see how they are changing. You still need a high % of TB as they still need to have stamina & be able to cover the ground, but they also need a bit more for the other 2 phases.

You have a lovely mare with a good pedigree, so you have a wider option then most.

Sorry must agree to disagree here :) There are 1000's of unwanted TB's (ex racers) with flat racing pedigrees...this mare as a rare NH/Event pedigree...it's the type of pedigree that pro eventers want and can't find anymore...hence why they end up with Flatbred TB's crossed with Warmbloods.

I just think a pedigree that has Miners Lamp, Nickel King, Primitive Rising, Hoarwithy in it would be very sort after :)

Last edited:

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Sorry must agree to disagree here :) There are 1000's of unwanted TB's (ex racers) with flat racing pedigrees...this mare as a rare NH/Event pedigree...it's the type of pedigree that pro eventers want and can't find anymore...hence why they end up with Flatbred TB's crossed with Warmbloods.

I just think a pedigree that has Miners Lamp, Nickel King, Primitive Rising, Hoarwithy in it would be very sort after :)

And if it is not brave enough for eventing, will it still be sort after, especially if it is a gelding?

Truly

And if it is not brave enough for eventing, will it still be sort after, especially if it is a gelding?

I'd eat my hat magic :) x if it wasn't brave enough for eventing with a pedigree like that.
More likely to be a warmblood that wasn't brave enough.

Can't see why it couldn't do another discipline apart from Eventing anyway?...probably be smart enough as a Riding Horse/lightweight Hunter?

I agree Warmbloods are more fashionable at the moment but there are definitely people out there that still want a good NH/Event type TB and not a Flat bred TB...even to go Hunting! x

Sportznight

Visit site
I'd have to recommend Kings Composer - full TB and a proper, athletic, correct stamp, who throws the same. He is not flat bred, more event/performance bred. Or possibly a Trakehner, as they are the most TB of the WB's.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I'd eat my hat magic :) x if it wasn't brave enough for eventing with a pedigree like that.
More likely to be a warmblood that wasn't brave enough.

Can't see why it couldn't do another discipline apart from Eventing anyway?...probably be smart enough as a Riding Horse/lightweight Hunter?

I agree Warmbloods are more fashionable at the moment but there are definitely people out there that still want a good NH/Event type TB and not a Flat bred TB...even to go Hunting! x

And they will find a good NH/Event type TB and my Flat bred TB is more then capable of Hunting as many are, especially those that are distance bred rather then sprinters. I liked Power Blade but was not aware that his eventing offspring were anything but PB's. Does he have full TB's eventing?

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
PS, the poster's mare seems good enough to use most stallions so will come down to her own preference. She has the TB base so regardless of whether she sticks with TB or goes for something else, it should at least event at the lower levels.

Truly

PS, the poster's mare seems good enough to use most stallions so will come down to her own preference. She has the TB base so regardless of whether she sticks with TB or goes for something else, it should at least event at the lower levels.

Yes she is lovely magic,,,I agree with you :)

Didn't mean to come across argumentative..I'm just very passionate about TB breeding :)

I do have some Flat bred mares as well as NH/Event mares so wasn't knocking them :)...just know that the pro riders and pro breeders want the old NH TB's and they are like gold dust...it's so hard to find them nowadays.

I asked Henk Minderman at a breeding seminar 'why he didn't seem to like TB's?' (It sounded to me like he didn't like them when talking about sporthorse breeding) and he said "I do! but not the Flatbred TB's, but it's not often you find an old NH bred TB nowadays'

I know the OP will chose what they like but I was only replying to a question with my own personal opinion like everyone else has :)..so sorry if it read differently xx

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Yes she is lovely magic,,,I agree with you :)

Didn't mean to come across argumentative..I'm just very passionate about TB breeding :)

I do have some Flat bred mares as well as NH/Event mares so wasn't knocking them :)...just know that the pro riders and pro breeders want the old NH TB's and they are like gold dust...it's so hard to find them nowadays.

I asked Henk Minderman at a breeding seminar 'why he didn't seem to like TB's?' (It sounded to me like he didn't like them when talking about sporthorse breeding) and he said "I do! but not the Flatbred TB's, but it's not often you find an old NH bred TB nowadays'

I know the OP will chose what they like but I was only replying to a question with my own personal opinion like everyone else has :)..so sorry if it read differently xx

I never thought you were argumentative? You have a valid view point so why should you not put it forward? Mind I dont agree about the flat bred racers as the distance horses have been sucessful in the bloodlines of many eventers. Also it is very rare for a stallion to race over fences so most of the NH TB's are from FB TB's. So are his comments aimed at sprinters?

Truly

:) ..probably were magic....I think it's a generalisation regards Flat bred horses. He was referring to to those with lower set necks and built more downhill than up and that had more of a low flat stride..so more of a conformation thing x