Suitable Stallion for my mare?

Charliev2014

Visit site
Hi there I will be looking to put my mare in foal in a few years time - she will be maiden and she is around 14hh , I was wondering if anyone knew of any suitable catches , I am looking to breed something similar to her hunter show type but with a bit more movement / quality -not that she isn't lovely!!

IMAG0741_zpsem9ik71v.jpg

s4sugar

Visit site
You love your mare but tbh it would be difficult to breed a show hunter type from her.
Enjoy riding her & buy the youngster you want when you are ready.

Charliev2014

Visit site
I'm not sure why that would be difficult as she is a Hunter pony stamp herself. Maybe the picture isn't showing her to her best quality. I get the feeling you don't think she is quality enough by your response?

s4sugar

Visit site
From the photos you have put up she doesn't have brilliant conformation and I wouldn't consider her a show hunter pony.

Charliev2014

Visit site
It must be the photos then as there's absolutely nothing wrong with her conformation. What sort of faults can you see. Also what sort of stamp would you say she was then?

s4sugar

Visit site
If you are thinking of breeding you ought to be able to look at the standing photo & see some glaring faults.
Hind limbs , foot/pastern angles, short neck, common head, could be the way she is stood but shows a mismatched front & rear & long back, poor hip. Forlimbs not parallel but it could be a bad photo.

She looks a cob cross / native cross and doesn't fit any "show" type - family pony perhaps?

Charliev2014

Visit site
Well just so you know my dad's a brilliant Farrier and her foot/pasterb angles are perfect. Her behind is lacking as she isn't muscled well as she's only been broken since December. And she definately as nothing of a common head. Thank you for your opinion but you clearly have nothing nice to say.

s4sugar

Visit site
You asked - you put up the photo - look at her hind feet, look at her hind limb conformation, look at her head compared to show hunter ponies - do you know what common means?

You could buy a foal like her for have the stud fee of a decent pony stallion. That way you would know colour & gender.

christine48

Visit site
I agree with the other replies you have had and enjoy riding her and buying a youngster. Her conformation simply isn't good enough. She is built downhill, has an upright shoulder with a short neck & large head. She is a cob and you wouldn't improve her enough to breed a SHP.
People need to be more responsible about the type of stock we breed from.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well I like her but she doesn't shout show anything really. BUT if you want to breed a keeper go to a nicer small TB (IMO) and see what you get. Not everyone wants a flashy warmblood (not saying other posters are suggesting this). I took my mare, who wasn't perfect, to a stallion that stamps his stock and got a very nice youngster.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

hippomaniac

Visit site
She looks a really sweet little mare, however she is a cob x. Do you know her breeding? if not it will be difficult to predict what you will get. I would enjoy her and buy a foal, there is alot out there to choose from and you will have a super time looking at babies without the stress of your precious mare being in-foal and all the complications that go with it.

angrovestud

Visit site
I think I may be able to offer some help our boy is 80%TB 12% arab and breeds to the TB he has 7 foals on the ground and everyone has been an improvement on the mare 4 of which were TBs if you would like to take a look at this album on H&H it will show you his progeny we have bred I think you should go with what you want to do I am very happy to help you if you pm me or email me best wishes

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/album.php?albumid=5771

Spring Feather

Visit site
Sorry OP but I have to say pretty much the same as almost everyone else on this thread. I'm not sure you would get what you're hoping to get from breeding your mare. She looks like a fine riding pony so just have lots of fun with her and if you do want to go further down the show hunter route then it would make more sense to go out and buy a youngster who is already on the ground and where you can see the conformation of it and its mother.