Summer clipping...

**Vanner**

Visit site
This is why I have to clip my boy all year round.

I last clipped at the beginning of July! And he didn't look that hairy until I started clipping him.

54D257AC-6F91-4315-8A00-D8FCD1B48912-5892-00000CCCAE592555.jpg

:eek:

647A9D1F-F891-452F-BE01-D42609625ADB-5892-00000CCCA685A40C.jpg

He was much more comfortable out hacking tonight.

toffeeyummy

Visit site
Maybe I'll just do a high trace as she hasn't got a fly rug. She gets a sunburnt nose which I have to smother in cream every day. Can't imagine coating her whole clipped body in it! She may as well have a bikini too!!

tiga71

Visit site
My hairy boy is exactly the same. I clip him every 5 or 6 weeks and he generally leaves a good pile of hair.

He is so much happier clipped and much more comfortable.

Mine also has pink skin so has a uv rug for a week or so after the clip.
Mine is out at night now and is naked unless there is rain forecast when he has the lightest rain sheet on.

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
Very smart it makes such a difference. I have also clipped out my coblet too inc. legs yesterday, got a massive trug full of hair!!! :eek: He is hogged too, I always clip in summer and he is pink skinned on his white bits put I keep him out at night and in during the day....he seems much happier clipped and doesnt burn. He just gets so sweaty as we hack for miles nearly every day. I also can blast his mites with frontline now the hairs gone. Don't know about you Vanner but sweat was pouring down my face doing it..plus lots of hair yuk and itchiness!!!! :D

katherine1975

Visit site
Maybe a stupid question, I have been thinking of clipping my cob. She is getting very hot. Will she need a fly rug on? And do they need a turn out rug when it rains? She lives out 24/7 and is black so no risk of sunburn.

Mince Pie

Visit site
She will need a rainsheet if it rains as she won't have a coat to keep her dry. I would personally put a fly rug on :)

**Vanner**

Visit site
Very smart it makes such a difference. I have also clipped out my coblet too inc. legs yesterday, got a massive trug full of hair!!! :eek: He is hogged too, I always clip in summer and he is pink skinned on his white bits put I keep him out at night and in during the day....he seems much happier clipped and doesnt burn. He just gets so sweaty as we hack for miles nearly every day. I also can blast his mites with frontline now the hairs gone. Don't know about you Vanner but sweat was pouring down my face doing it..plus lots of hair yuk and itchiness!!!! :D

I was as hairy as him by the time I had finished!

mandyroberts

Visit site
I am stunned. I have never clipped a horse in the summer. Their coats are so fine its not necessary. I have a Trak/Holst now but my old boy was not 'well bred' and was fine. Is it climate change? He was my horse of a lifetime so obviously perfect!

Mince Pie

Visit site
I think it's a cob/heavy thing, most of the clipped horses on this thread are cobs :) My boy is always quite hairy, whatever the weather :)

ladyt25

Visit site
I think it's a cob/heavy thing, most of the clipped horses on this thread are cobs :) My boy is always quite hairy, whatever the weather :)

Not all are cobs - I have to clip my connie x TB most summers. Held off a bit longer this year as it's not been so hot and I've not been doing many competitions (well any) like i would most years. He starts to grow a thicker coat around July time and it starts to look horris come August and he gets gets too hot and lethargic so he gets clipped. Just clipped him this weekend as it's been so warm. He's a dun with black skin so I don't worry about sunburn but he has a rain sheet on if it's going to pour down and be a bit cooler.

beatrice

Visit site
Another whos cob is clipped all year round - He wears a fly sheet during the day and a summer sheet at night (hes in) more to keep him clean than anything else!

Vanner out of curiosity what clippers do you use?

beatrice

Visit site
thanks Vanner, will have a look at those.

I have 2 sets, neither of which are perfect for clipping Min (fine for clipping my other horse with a 'normal' coat). One set get ridiculously hot and the other are that faffy to tension by time i have repeatedly put them on Min to see if they will clip he has had enough and starts to be difficult (understandably!)