Summer Eye conditions

spottydottypony

Visit site
My 2 yr old fell who is out at night and in when its hot in the day has what looks like sunburn on the bottom lash line of his eye. It is like very small pink/white spots (about 4) along his lower lash line. They were not there yesterday and his eye is very slightly running. He has slight sunburn on the inside of one nostril (a pink line) where his nose has run. He is black with black/ dark skin. I have no idea what this is any ideas?

Judie

Visit site
It sounds a little like photosensitivity, which is a reaction to the sunrays. The vet will give you some cream to treat it and it will be imperative that he is kept out of the sun or wears a full face mask - including covering the nose.

I have one who had this on her legs (quite unusal as it is normally the face) and the spots turned to full on blisters, oozing puss, it was so sore.

A quick chat with the vet will put your mind at rest or start the treatment asap.

Hope that helps.

dunthing

Visit site
I don't think people realise how dangerous this really hot weather is for horses. I brought my highland in one day, years ago, and he was staggering as if he'd been poisoned. He had heatstroke so we put him in a dark stable and cool sponged him. he was fine the next day but I bet he had one hell of a headache.

SSM

Visit site
Do you have lots of buttercups in your field at the moment? Might also be a reaction to those? Also flies are dreadful at the moment, I left Buck out yesterday evening for 3 hours without a facemask - his eyes were streaming and he looked like a bloodhound - he then had to sleep in his mask last night and still look a bit sore this am.

spottydottypony

Visit site
No we have no buttercups but i read up on photosensitivity in horses and it said that alfalfa and clover can cause this. He has been on Baileys Alfalfa and clover mix! Wonder if that has caused it? who knows!