Summer feeding advice

Erow4945

Visit site
I have a 6 year old warm blood in medium work 4 times week . He is currently out grazing 6x7pm later if weather is nice and I bring him in and he has his benvit vitamins, fast fibre, pasture mix (small amount) adlib hay in stable. He is of good weight now but want to make sure he doesn't get over weight. He isn't that interested in his hay overnight will usually eat half his net. Should I reduce his hard feed to just vitamins and fast fibre? If I leave him out Full time should I still hard feed so he gets his vitamins ? Should I also be feeding him a balancer? My boy is really healthy so please no nasty comments I'm after some advice so I do the best for him.

paddi22

Visit site
it might be handy to sit down and work out what you are actually giving him. I'd imagine there's a lot of cross over between your vitamin supplement and your balancer. you could be doubling up when you don't need to pick. I've a warmblood good doer and he just gets a good vitamin supplement in with a handful of chaff or speedibeet. with the grass coming through they will usually put on weight in the summer so if he's a good weight now he probably doesn't need the pasture mix. if he flats when riding or lacking energy you could relook.

Erow4945

Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to reply. He is just on vitamins at the minute he looks so shiny and in good condition. I will just remove his pasture mix I've already decreased it and see how we go. Xx

Upthecreek

Visit site
Mine are eventing most weekends. They come in during the day and are turned out overnight on decent grass. They are both carrying a touch more weight than I would like at the moment so all they get is a couple handfuls of low calorie chaff (just enough to carry the vitamin & mineral supplement & salt).