Summer Fly Relief - Your Opinions/Recommendations

kbsaff

Visit site
During the summer, my boy suffers horrendously with irritation from flies and midges, He doesn't get sweetitch but rubs and rubs constantly particularly in his ears. He can't bear them on him and figdets and crashes about the place.

I noticed that the bugs were out in force last night and he was really stressing about them during our lunging session.

I'm currently dousing him in Power Fazer which seems good at the time but doesn't last long.
He's also dressed from head to toe in his "Ghost Buster" outfit as soon as the sun dares to peep out from behind a cloud. Obviously I can't keep this on when he's working.

I'm desperate to pre-empt the rubbing and start protecting him before the midges arrive in full force.
Can any of you recommend you favourite insect repellents or reliefs please? Be that in the form of supplements/ Sprays etc for both turnout and stable time and whilt he's being worked.

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
I was told by a wise old soul that feeding garlic all year round would keep flies away come summer.

To say I was sceptical was an understatement but since nothing else had worked I tried it - started feeding garlic granules in the autumn and come next spring / summer sure enough the problem was hugely better.

Try it and see how you get on - might be a bit late for this summer but certainly can't do any harm.

Amy_08

Visit site
I have just moved my horse to a new yard and her field is next to a river where the flies are unbelieveable. She's never really had a problem with them before but they are really bothering her so I am trying different things at the moment. She hates fly masks and rugs so these will be my last resort. So I have started giving her Brewers Yeast and Garlic in her feed. I also highly rate Summer Fly Cream except the fact that its bright yellow and I use Deosect on her once a week.

LOU83

Visit site
im going to try global herbs flyfree this year as mine hates the flies people have told me it was really good always worth a try

Hedwards

Visit site
A friend of mine has an itchy pony (who does have mild sweet itch) she swears by Coopers Fly Repellent on her boy, and it certainly seems to do the trick, i'm going to be giving it a go on my girl this year as she came up in some horrible bumps where she's been bitten last summer. Its not cheap, but she was putting it on every other day it seemed to last quite well, and he was in a fly sheet too.

Rachellouise1

Visit site
Try Mark Todd fly spray, I've found it's one of the best. Mine wears a full face mask with ears to try and stop the litle blighters getting around her ears. Fly sheet all the time and if he lives out wait till after dusk to put him back out. I agree with the garlic in feed too xxx

Toffee44

Visit site
My sweet itch girl is marinaded in coopers fly repellent once a week and topped up with net tex fly repellent but I am gonna try and make my own this year. She also lives in a fly rug Shes had a fly neck on for weeks now.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Another vote for Coopers. Expensive but lasts forever!!! I will be getting some this summer when my girl starts living out. Also stops the bots.

A cheaper alternative which is good but not as good is Netex Advanced Fly Repellent. I am using this at the moment. Supposed to last for 3 days. I would probably say is is only effective for 2, however it is cheaper than Coopers.