summer turnout

socks or slippers

• Total voters

jewel

Visit site
this year i am at a livery yard where we can turnout 24/7 from april til october. but everyone on the yard seems to still leave there in so what do you do? and why?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I suspect that my horse will be going out 24/7 from next week onwards. They've recently moved on to new grazing - and he really would rather be out. It depends on what the weather is going to be doing to be honest.

Amy May only rarely went out 24/7 because she was a little tubs - and would get too fat!

fairhill

Visit site
I don't think ours will be going out till the end of May this year as the fields are still wet.
I normally put my girl out 24/7 but might not be able to this year as there aren't many mares on our yard, and most of the owners like to keep theirs in at night. I don't think I want mine out by herself at night.
I'm quite flexible though, and if the grass looks to be getting low then I'll keep mine in overnight to make sure she gets enough to eat.

Hullabaloo

Visit site
We turn out 24/7 in summer for a number of reasons:
The horses prefer it
Its less work for us
We save on bedding and hay
We have enough grazing to do it provided we manage it properly
We normally have them out by now, but our fields have been so wet this year we haven't managed it yet. I'm hoping for next weekend though.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Depends on horse. My mare was much happier out and was out as much as poss 24/7 in summer. My old SJ hated being out on hot sunny days and would just stand under a tree looking miserable so I only turned him out at night. I think it's nice if you can and they are happy though

HelBel

Visit site
we were allowed to turn out at night as of the end of march, nobody else on my yard has turned out at night but have taken advantage and stuck mine out when the weather has been nice! he loves it!
xx

hayleygunson

Visit site
We only put our horses out for an hour or two each day after they've ridden and only in good weather. We've got an old pony with laminitis so she has to wear a muzzle and the grass is quite luscious so only a few hours at the most for our's.
grin.gif

SALLYT

Visit site
I think that this year I will bring him in before I go to work and turn out early evening if its hot.I pay the same livery price regardless of winter & summer so i am paying for haylage and shavings so feel I should use them!.

Sometimes he can be out 24/7 if I want a rest, but I do need to watch his weight when the grass comes through.

JenHunt

Visit site
mine are out 24/7 unless it gets really hot and then they get put in during the day for a siesta in our nice cool stone stables. if it turns really really wet then they'll come in for part of the time just s they don't chew up the grass too much.

RuthP

Visit site
mine are in in the day and out at night. cant due 24/7 turnout as they are fatty's! i prefer them coming into a cool stable in the summer, out of the flys and heat.

Enfys

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 in the winter, because I am lazy and don't want to have to muck out. I have a couple of Boarders which are stabled at night though at the owner's request.

In on hot, sunny days from June-September, NOT my choice, but a necessity, because we have really evil deer fly that munch on them and the horses beg to stand in for some peace.

laura05

Visit site
Not decided yet but they will be in one or the other as they are little fatties.
Sidney could get away with being out 24/7 but he looses his manners and needs to be kept to a routine

emma_lg

Visit site
Really depends on the weather...during summer I would tend to put my girlie out at night...but last 'summer' she got waterlogged and we had to bring her in to dry her out and change to winter time (out during the day) in August.
She is happy either way...she likes the sun and too sun-bathe...but happy to come in for a quiet nap in her cool stable.
Also, have to consider if the ground gets too hard as well..
So it really all depends on the weather!!!!

bex1984

Visit site
Mine will hopefully go out 24/7 in the next week or two. He's just moved over to restricted grazing with YOs ponies and he didnt want to come in yesterday. He is happier out 24/7 in summer but does have to be in a piggy paddock or he'll just become enormous. I'd rather he was out moving round though.

JS65

Visit site
I voted in at night, because my big lad won't stay out past 5o'clock!!
Not only that, but he rounds up my others and brings them in too!!
i have opened up my summer field and he STILL won't stay out. I'ts sooo infuriating!!

wench

Visit site
if i had a choice my horse would be in every night over summer. He gets a devil to catch and can go for a month without getting hold of him. If he knows he is coming in you stand some chance of catching him

ladyt25

Visit site
Out 24/7 horses should be horses! We alternate them between two 6 acre fields but electric fence them off to smaller paddocks if they are getting too fat! They have plenty of trees and hedges to shelter under and hills to keep out of wind etc.
Mine love lying flat out in the sunshine in the summer think they'd go insane if I trued to make them stay in stables (plus why give myself the extra mucking out work!)

Guess it's easier though if your own land, I actually don't think i'd be able to afford to have a horse if I had to keep in livery.
crazy.gif

Stephl07

Visit site
Out 24/7, but im not sure when he is going out, normally mine are out on 1st April but Oz has mud fever and it is a bog (the whole field) and he wont go through the knee deep mud to go to water trough so wont drink so he is in at night at the mo, wish he could go out - he is so messy!

Solstar

Visit site
Sol has always gone out 24/7 from May/June, but comes in for a couple of hours through the day if its really hot- he doesn't like the heat and is a hot horse.

Don't know what we'll do with Red- its our first summer owning him and its took us long enough to get the excess fat off him! He'll probably come in through the day for a few hours if he needs too.

Peanot

Visit site
Hi, I have had my mare in at night all year round, but I have recently moved to a new yard where there are about 8 horses out at night already. My horses field mate is out and she watches her through the window in her stable, so I may be inclined to let her stay out 24/7 this year. I`m not sure yet as I like to compete her and so I dont want her ballooning. A lot of people up there like to turn out at night and in the stable in the day due to flies etc when it is hot, so again, not sure what to do with my 2.