Sun bleaching ..?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Keeping indoors? Move to Scottish Western Isles?
You could try a rug to stop the coat bleaching, and equichaps to stop the feathers bleaching (breathable ones designed specifically for turnout). I don't know about the tail.
Your cob may be a bit warm in all of that though, would it not be easier to stable during day and turnout at night?
S
smile.gif

JustKickOn

Visit site
What is sun bleaching??

I'm guessing its where the coat and other hairy parts go really light in the sun?? My pink bucket did that last summer.
smirk.gif

Can't you get suncream for horses? Or a protective spray?

Mellymoo1

Visit site
I believe sweat accelerates the bleaching due to the salts in it. Before I heard that, i was chucking my boy out after a ride without sponging him down and now he has a ginger saddle shaped patch on his otherwise black coat! I guess in-hand showing is out for me this year!

Doesn't really help about the feathers and tail issue though...

merlinsquest

Visit site
Merlin goes very dark bay by the end of the summer and since he has had a combo fly rug he has stayed very much blacker!! I like having a black horse and dont want him to be a bay!!!

moneypit1

Visit site
If its a hot dry day my friend who has a black turns out in a white summer sheet. Not only does it stop bleaching it keeps her mare cool as the white reflects the suns rays.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have a dun horse which used to be bay. Sun bleaching really irritates me but nothing I can do about it as can not put a rug on him due to him getting terrible rug rub. Better to have a dun horse than hairless shoulders. Mine also has a really thin coat which I think does not help. My other nag is still a lovely bay so think some horses more prone to it.

hannahandteddy

Visit site
thats really weird because my friend has a lovely liver chesnut mare who is normaly a lovely lighter colour in the summer and really dark (more chocolately) in the winter but this year she has stayed VERY dark!!! i've never had this problem because i had a palomino then a grey and now a coloured who is multi browns anyway!!! must be very annoying though!!! you could try either moving to a rainy place like yorksire
wink.gif
or more convinently stable in the day and turnout at night!
tongue.gif

Enfys

Visit site
Keep them in.

I used to supply a Lady who bred and showed palominos (Shulay) and she said she kept hers in or rugged in the sunniest part of the day. Someone else I knew had a black cob and he used to go 'rusty' around the edges so to speak, she used to use a black shampoo to help that.

MillionDollar

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I used to supply a Lady who bred and showed palominos (Shulay) and she said she kept hers in or rugged in the sunniest part of the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

As in Shulay Palominos in this country? Gribbens? Sorry off topic, its just my friend breeds palominos and Shulay horses always beat hers, lol. That damn Gold 'n' Silver
tongue.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have had a couple of people walk almost past me and said they did not recognise the horse!