Sunshine Tour SJ and a little dilemma

minesadouble

Visit site
On Sunday my youngest daughter went SJ and much to my surprise and delight she and her little coloured cob won their 50cm class, there were 30 entries and her pony is a clean jumper but not the quickest hence the surprise.
She rode really well and her pony was brilliant.

She has qualified for the Sunshine Tour and is desperate to go. She's not under any illusions and has said to me 'I know the classes will be huge and I won't place but I really want to go'.

It's at least a 6 hour drive ? but this is probably going to be her last year on this pony, who she adores, as she's growing too big for him.

If anyone has been was it a good experience? I suppose what I'm asking is is it worth the long journey?

Nicnac

Visit site
It really is - competing at Hickstead is special. Would I drive 6 hours to do one class - no. If you can stay over and do a couple of other classes such as the clear round and warm up ones it's worth it however some of these are on weekdays which isn't ideal as it's after school's go back.

Congratulations to them both!

minesadouble

Visit site
Thanks for your reply and positive vibes! I definitely would be looking to stay a couple of days. Luckily her school is very good about time off for any sporting endeavours.
She's so excited I don't think I can bear to let he down! Just wanted someone to confirm I'm not mad and it would be a good experience for her.

humblepie

Visit site
Love Hickstead although not done sunshine tour as not eligible but make a little holiday of it. Don’t know what lorry you have but one year we went down to the beach near Brighton on a spare day in my 5 tonne lorry.

stangs

Visit site
There's lots of bridleways in the vicinity - could you not make a little trip of it and go on a hack or two while you're there (if you don't want to do multiple classes)?

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm also local and I really like Hickstead. There is a Premier Inn really near by and Hickstead itself is right off the A23 so it's easy to get to. Lots of nice stuff in the area too!

WelshHoarder

Visit site
We went last year with small person and little Welshie, and really enjoyed ourselves! Made the most of it with a couple of showing classes, assisted Intro dressage and then jumping on the Sunday (30cm and then a couple of clear rounds) and had an absolute blast. The atmosphere was great, so many supportive people and it seemed really well run for a big busy show. We stayed overnight on the Saturday as it’s a couple of hours from us, pony in a stable and we decamped to an Airbnb 5 mins up the road, but if we go again I’d love to camp to get the full experience. If nothing else, competing at Hickstead is such a great experience.

Get the qualification done now as there’s a limited time to record it with them (a couple of weeks last year I think, although I know they’ve changed the system slightly this year, I haven’t looked at in any depth yet as both small person and pony are currently off games ?), then you have plenty of time to decide later if you actually want to go.

One thing I will say if you do want to go ahead and enter is be prepared - look at the schedule and timetables so you know what you want to enter, and then be ready to do entries, with any qualification information you need to hand when they open - some of the popular classes filled really quickly last year: I put ours in as soon as they opened at 6am, some of the jumping classes were full by the time I looked again out of curiosity at 8am!

DC980AC7-9F8A-4EDD-92B8-3B8EC3C55366.jpeg

4E050A85-73FD-464C-8934-4CBEC689CA4C.jpeg

minesadouble

Visit site
We went last year with small person and little Welshie, and really enjoyed ourselves! Made the most of it with a couple of showing classes, assisted Intro dressage and then jumping on the Sunday (30cm and then a couple of clear rounds) and had an absolute blast. The atmosphere was great, so many supportive people and it seemed really well run for a big busy show. We stayed overnight on the Saturday as it’s a couple of hours from us, pony in a stable and we decamped to an Airbnb 5 mins up the road, but if we go again I’d love to camp to get the full experience. If nothing else, competing at Hickstead is such a great experience.

Get the qualification done now as there’s a limited time to record it with them (a couple of weeks last year I think, although I know they’ve changed the system slightly this year, I haven’t looked at in any depth yet as both small person and pony are currently off games ?), then you have plenty of time to decide later if you actually want to go.

One thing I will say if you do want to go ahead and enter is be prepared - look at the schedule and timetables so you know what you want to enter, and then be ready to do entries, with any qualification information you need to hand when they open - some of the popular classes filled really quickly last year: I put ours in as soon as they opened at 6am, some of the jumping classes were full by the time I looked again out of curiosity at 8am!

View attachment 90215

View attachment 90216

Fabulous pics, my daughter will be thrilled if she gets some shots like that!

I have done the pony registration, I need to wait for them to email me back with his number, do you enter some classes in advance and some on the day?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I rode at the Sunshine Tour in Ridden Coloured and Hunter showing classes 2.5 weeks after a compression fracture to L3 in my spine coming off the bugger - I had been trying to qualify on my wonky donky warmblood for ages and was really excited is my excuse. Despite the tramadol levels in my blood I had an absolutely fantastic day, met lots of people and wouldn't have changed it for the world! I would 100% recommend going, and getting booked in early for those classes open to everyone, as they're usually very popular

WelshHoarder

Visit site
I have done the pony registration, I need to wait for them to email me back with his number, do you enter some classes in advance and some on the day?

I’m not sure - we did all of ours in advance as soon as it opened - they’re really helpful if you have any queries though, just email them

dorsetladette

Visit site
From memory I think you can enter 2 classes from 1 qualification and them they also have classes you don't need to qualify for. We went last year and it was so much fun. We took a coloured cob and did the turn out classes and coloured cob class too. Honestly the atmosphere is brilliant.

minesadouble

Visit site
I loved it! Went with friends, stayed at the premier inn and had a total blast. Would def recommend it. One of the best horsey things I’ve done. I did two classes (showing) over 2 days.

Is it the Premier Inn Burgess Hill? Just looking now ?

minesadouble

Visit site
No
@minesadouble did you go? How was it? I also have little people keen!
And also 6-7 hours away 🤣
No we didn't because I was the worst mother in the world and I sold the pony 🙈
I replaced him with a Connemara, she qualified that one as a WHP for the BSPS Winter Champs and we didn't go there either!

I have solemnly promised that the next Championship show she qualifies for we will actually attend!