Super excited- first ever side-saddle lesson booked

kezz86

Visit site
Hi all,

As the title says I've just booked my first side-saddle lesson for next Tuesday.

So any tips that might help me to feel less sore the next day?

and just generally any tips?

I can't wait!

I'm just scared I'm going to get addicted and "have" to save for a side-saddle!

:D

Capriole

Visit site
:D

You will either hate it and thats that or, like me, become massively addicted and start the saving fund for saddle, habit etc etc etc :D

kezz86

Visit site
wear short boots if poss. no matter what you do you will be sore!! have fun tho its fab :)

Thanks I will!

I'm dreading being sore after I'm such a wimp... I will of course let you all know how it goes.

I also really hope I don't hate it I've been obsession for ages about having a go it's taken me forever to find somewhere to have a lesson!

I'd like to think I'll have lessons and start saving for everything so that I can go out to shows etc and encourage others to take it up!

:)

Capriole

Visit site
same, its been on my bucket list for years and years and I was super excited to have a go at it.

kezz86

Visit site
same, its been on my bucket list for years and years and I was super excited to have a go at it.

Last year when I was looking to buy another horse I missed out on a lovely cyldesdale who came with side-saddle in the sale! :(

He was lovely but because I wanted a second viewing and couldn't get back to see him for a couple of days someone else snapped him up before me.. I was devastated since he was perfect for everything I wanted to do.

But on the plus side I now have the most loving and sensible horse, who if all goes to plan will hopefully take to side-saddle (if I do of course!) :)

Capriole

Visit site
Hey, if my horse doesnt take to it I will get another horse lol Sure he will though.

What a shame about the Clydesdale, very sensible wanting a 2nd viewing though :)

zaminda

Visit site
Plan to try and hire a side saddle on return from my travels, my mare is quite good, she just wasn't sure when the veil went on! Think its a bit of a marmite thing, do enjoy it though.

kezz86

Visit site
Hey, if my horse doesnt take to it I will get another horse lol Sure he will though.

What a shame about the Clydesdale, very sensible wanting a 2nd viewing though :)

Ha ha well if I enjoy it an she doesn't it's the perfect excuse for another! :D

kezz86

Visit site
Plan to try and hire a side saddle on return from my travels, my mare is quite good, she just wasn't sure when the veil went on! Think its a bit of a marmite thing, do enjoy it though.

I hear that hiring it actually not too expensive so I may do this until I can afford one of my own.

Having said that though I hate renting of any kind I always feel like I'm throwing money down the drain...

If I'm paying £200-£350 for 6 months rental thats £300 that could have gone towards a saddle of my own!

EMC

Visit site
Side saddle is brilliant, you will love it!!

Top tip....relax! I had a few lessons with Cindy Sims at Harroway and took to it better than riding astride, even jumping sidesaddle was easier.

Might try the new boy in a sidesaddle once he's settled. Good luck and please let us know how you get on x

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
Yay!!!! Another one who will be crossing over to the "dark side"! :D

Full suedey seat breeches will also help with your lesson and wear a half chap on your left leg.

Side saddle is very addictive (and expensive) but worth it!! I rarely ride astride now and only show side saddle now. I find Hattie goes better side saddle and I find I'm an overall better rider aside than astride.

You will love it or hate it but you will know if you love it as then you will start trawling the internet looking for side saddle bits and bobs for sale :D

kezz86

Visit site
Yay!!!! Another one who will be crossing over to the "dark side"! :D

Full suedey seat breeches will also help with your lesson and wear a half chap on your left leg.

Side saddle is very addictive (and expensive) but worth it!! I rarely ride astride now and only show side saddle now. I find Hattie goes better side saddle and I find I'm an overall better rider aside than astride.

You will love it or hate it but you will know if you love it as then you will start trawling the internet looking for side saddle bits and bobs for sale :D

Ha ha yes hopefully I'll be converted to the darkside! I've alway dreamt of riding aside even when I was little I used to mess about trying to ride aside on a normal saddle! :p

I'm not sure I have any full suedey seat breeches anymore but will have a dig in my wardrobe to see what I can find!

I hope my girl takes to it if I love it!

ooo so excited!

Capriole

Visit site
you will know if you love it as then you will start trawling the internet looking for side saddle bits and bobs for sale :D

Yup, Im there :eek:

As a matter of fact was drooling over the vintage habits on your blog only last night :D

Not even got a saddle yet lol, saving though, saving...

kezz86

Visit site
Side saddle is brilliant, you will love it!!

Top tip....relax! I had a few lessons with Cindy Sims at Harroway and took to it better than riding astride, even jumping sidesaddle was easier.

Might try the new boy in a sidesaddle once he's settled. Good luck and please let us know how you get on x

No convinced about jumping side-saddle I'm not a fan of jumping in general I like my feet safely on the ground thanks. BUT if as quite a few people have been telling me I feel more secure you never know I may be convinced to jump again!

Erzie

Visit site
That's great!

I started riding aside this year with my instructor. I don't practise enought, so I'm still not quite used to it, but I don't give up, and I hope that my futur horse will agree to be ridden that way. I don't want to try with my 23 years old mare, I'm not sure it would be good for her back... so that will be for the next one! In the meanwhile, I have to improve with Néroli: (that's not me on him)

113305.jpg

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
No convinced about jumping side-saddle I'm not a fan of jumping in general I like my feet safely on the ground thanks. BUT if as quite a few people have been telling me I feel more secure you never know I may be convinced to jump again!

I don't like jumping either but I actually did manage to jump 1'9" side saddle in March, something I haven't done since i was MUCH younger!! Need to start practising jumping again whenever the weather decides to dry up as we are doing the RC horse class at our next show on the 20th.

kezz86

Visit site
So my side-saddle lesson was last night! oh it was brilliant.

I was a little nervous at first as haven't really ridden any other horses since I've had my Izzy horse (for over a year) so it was weird riding a different horse plus he felt huge as was about 16.3/17hh!

Anyway once I got over this she had me learning the basics and trotting around. Not enough time to have a little canter as I only had a 30minute lesson but it was lovely to have a go and now I just want to practice all the time!

Funnily enough on my way home Liz Turner called me as she's in Wincanton (just down the road from me) today but unfortunately I can't afford to rent a saddle just yet, but did also ask how much she normally sells them for as I am definately hooked on side-saddle now!

HollyhedgePippa

Visit site
Do let us know how it gets along :)! The local equestrian centre by me holds sidesaddle lessons! I think I will be going to look into it after how everyone has complimented it!

seoirse

Visit site
Oh yay well done. I've always wanted to have a go and new horse actually has done a fair bit of side saddle showing in his previous life so already knows the ropes. When my confidence is a bit less wobbly I think I'll have a try too.
Well done. :D

kezz86

Visit site
Oh yay well done. I've always wanted to have a go and new horse actually has done a fair bit of side saddle showing in his previous life so already knows the ropes. When my confidence is a bit less wobbly I think I'll have a try too.
Well done. :D

You should have a go it feels a lot more secure than it looks and even though I was on a strange horse (who was huge!) I felt very safe!

Especially if your horse has done a lot in his previous life! I'm just hoping I can afford a side-saddle someday and that my mare takes to it!

Last edited:

seoirse

Visit site

You should have a go it feels a lot more secure than it looks and even though I was on a strange horse (who was huge!) I felt very safe!

Especially if your horse has done a lot in his previous life! I'm just hoping I can afford a side-saddle someday and that my mare takes to it!

Yep the photo worked, you look very comfortable up there on that big hoss!

I'm definitely going to give it a go - just hope I don't get hooked though as the saddles are frighteningly expensive I just had a look! Eeek! Are you having another lesson? Sorry if you've already said and I've missed that post.