Super first event of the season (and lots of pics)

Fiona

Visit site
When I heard the weather forecast for Saturday I could have cried, but we were entered and the event runs on lovely sandy ground so we headed off with lots of waterproofs at 6am on Saturday morning. That was the other thing - always get such an early dressage time at this event.

Didn't have overly much time to warm up, due to stopping for fuel in Newry, and at the start she wasn't going very well, and OH was panicing a bit, but once she loosened up and he pushed her together she started to look a bit better, and she was going well before they went in....

IMG_1082.jpg

Her test was OK, the trot work was nice..

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

but she stepped back into her halt at C, and her canter still needs improvement. They were about 10th after dressage.

We walked the SJ course as the ring hadn't atarted yet, and there were no SJ times, so as it was still dry decided to go and get her and jump ASAP. She warmed up well and jumped a lovely clear, really taking on her fences and except for a difference of opinion at the last fence they were fairly much foot perfect (no photos sadly as the steward had called for a competitor into the ring, and I couldn't run fast enough to where I had left the camera bag to get it out in time).

Well they had showjumped at about 9.30, so guess what time we got her out for the XC. 4.15pm!!!!! It was a horrendously long day, and I know a lot of young horses would have got totally switched off by that stage, but Sophie loves her XC and she was really up for it (walking round the warmup chilling out)...

IMG_1151.jpg

The second fence..

IMG_1152.jpg

The skinny before the second water..

IMG_1156.jpg

Pallisade with pole on top..

IMG_1157.jpg

Big bank with a log on top finished off by brush....

IMG_1159.jpg

And finally a lovely pro pic from mdpix.ie.. (this was a novice fence as well)

img_0469.jpg

So we didn't get too wet (good), horse finished sound and well and could have gone round again (good), and friend won the sportsmans class on her new horse(also good), and personally I wouldn't have stayed for the results to go up as it was about 6pm by this stage, but OH wanted to and was great that he did. I was sitting half asleep in the cab with dog on knee when he bounces up to say that he got a 4th and gives me a lovely rosette and an envelope (well I am the mare's owner), so all in all especially as the weather wasn't as bad as forecast we had a lovely day.

Didn't get to sit down until after 9 last night though, fell asleep as soon as head hit the pillow, and had a bit of a lie in this morning.

Even better news though is that Flo who had a punctured foot last weekend and has spent most of the week in her stable came out this morning, hacked out sound and spent the day quietly grazing in the field (thought she might go bezerk), so very pleased to have two lovely mares in the yard.

Seem to have been typing for ages, sorry!!!
Hope you enjoy (anyone who gets to the end).

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Thank goodness for our little lorry thats all I can say. It only has about 5ft of living but its enough to have a cup of tea, and OH brought the sleeping bag so we each had a little snooze up in the luton with a poppy puppy hot waterbottle to keep the feet warm.

Sophie seemed quite happy eating her haylege (special treat for events) and watching the world go by!!

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Thanks weezy and chestnut monty.

I don't think the pics are going to print out well though. I had to set the camera to ISO800 because of the horrid weather so they just don't have great definition. The are grand to put up on the web though!!!

FIona

Fiona

Visit site
Thanks KatB and TrSand H.
He def isn't a dressage diva, so is v nice to have the odd placing, and especially nice after the couple of weeks we have had.
The course had quite a few of the nov fences included, so that pleased him as well that she went so well XC.

FIona

k9h

Visit site
Fantastic reort & pics! What a great start to the season, long may it continue & the reports!!

jxd

Visit site
Sounds like a fab day and first run
smile.gif
- can't believe how long you had to wait between sj and xc though!! You must have all been shattered!

catembi

Visit site
Wow, the photos look really fab! Well done to o/h & horse for 'switching on' again for the xc. If I'm hanging around waiting for sj, the longer I wait, the less I feel like doing it...

Lovely horse.

only_me

Visit site
well done! she looks lovely
laugh.gif

had to pull out unfortunatley as horse is only coming sound now, and had a weeks worth of strong antibiotics to kill what ever was in his hock, and there is only some swelling left, so hoping to be out at Tyrella (1) as kircubbin is cancelled ( actually quite pleased that it is cancelled
tongue.gif
) will start hacking my boy probs on thur/fri so we will be half fit for next sat
tongue.gif

are you doing tyrella (1)?

i always think that having a bank/ditch thing as fence 2 is strange
tongue.gif

sherwood'

Visit site
well done that is great she went so well esp after the past few weeks and that she continues to go as well at all the rest!!

Fiona

Visit site
Thanks guys. I have just about recovered now from the sleep deprivation and the cold (need to get a heater for the truck - any ideas for a small portable one??). We are hoping to have a lesson during the week, and then some SJ a the weekend. Lots of choice of venues over the weekend including an amateur qual (though I think there will be about 200 entrants so not worth bothering) but we will go somewhere. Next event on 29th.

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
Was just thinking about you today and hoping horsie was back to normal. I'm glad it was just someting infective (Flo is like that she can swell up alarmingly with the tiniest of cuts). OH wasn't going to ride at Kircubbin as he was the computer scorer, so now we have the weekend free we can plan where to go SJ with the beasties. See you at Tyrella!!

Fiona