Super low calorie dog food??

conniegirl

Visit site
Jezza is on cage rest again as he appears to have done the cruciate on the opposite leg this time.
We are going for conservative management again so cage rest!

However despite reducing his food down as much as in comfortable with he is putting on weight which is bad for the conservative management.
Normally we manage his weight by walking him for longer if he is getting a bit porky, but obviously that is out of the question.

So I have an absolutely ravenous beagle who needs to lose weight with no exercise.

Please recommend feeds where i can feed him a decent amount and he will still lose weight!

Roxylola

Visit site
Add cooked green beans to his meals?
Also snuffle mat type things might help make meals a bit more fulfilling.
As a hound owner I feel your pain though

TwoForTwo

Visit site
I’ve just started my over weight shih tzu x terrier on Royal Canin Saitety Weight management, hopefully it’s gonna do the trick

HorseyTee

Visit site
You could add boiled rice/potato to his food to bulk it out a bit and reduce the actual kibble.
Also feed food scattered/in a kong (even of this is in the crate) so it takes him a bit longer and more effort for his food, so he's burning energy as he gets his food.
You could also give peas/bit of brocolli as treat replacements so he's having snacks but without the calories.
Many brands have a low fat version too so if there are brands you prefer it's likely they have a satiety/low fat version of the food.

skinnydipper

Visit site
If dogs are like people then eating carbohydrates such as potatoes will result in weight gain not weight loss. Things like rice and potato raise blood glucose quite rapidly, in the way that eating sugar would. The body releases insulin to bring the blood glucose level down. Insulin is also known as the fat storage hormone :)

Please recommend feeds where i can feed him a decent amount and he will still lose weight!

I would try to feed a low glycaemic diet if you can. Hopefully he will feel less hungry and less insulin will be released.

Last edited:

SOS

Visit site
I would feed a weight loss food as not only are the low calorie but they are designed to make animals feel fuller for longer. As well as some food games/spread to kibble out over the day.

Odyssey

Visit site
I'd feed a highish meat content food like Millie's Wolfheart. Carbs are more of a problem than fat for weight gain, and a diet high in carbs isn't good for their health. They do have lower fat versions though, which should be lower calorie too.

Last edited:

conniegirl

Visit site
Hounds are too blinking intelligent!!
Jezza has learnt to open is cage! went out for an appointment with midwife and came back to find the brat out and having raided the bin! he is now back in the cage and I've tied the damn door shut!
Not sure if the terrier assisted him or looked on and laughed!

Roxylola

Visit site
I have to lock my kitchen door when I go out. Baddog can tip up the bin in seconds and open the freezer in under a minute.
Her most epic feat was having eaten her body weight in all the good frozen noms a few hours later she got out of bed, trotted in to the front room rustled a bit in another of the dog beds, and trotted back in with an entire (now partially defrosted) chicken she'd clearly hidden away for later. I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to be able to plan to that extent

conniegirl

Visit site
I have to lock my kitchen door when I go out. Baddog can tip up the bin in seconds and open the freezer in under a minute.
Her most epic feat was having eaten her body weight in all the good frozen noms a few hours later she got out of bed, trotted in to the front room rustled a bit in another of the dog beds, and trotted back in with an entire (now partially defrosted) chicken she'd clearly hidden away for later. I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to be able to plan to that extent
Lol, we have a baby gate on the utility room for this exact reason!

unfortunately as he was in his crate and it was locked I didnt bother to close the babygate as the terrier is a good girl and doesnt raid! Thankfully our 2 freezers are out of his reach (one is a chest freezer and the other is on top of the worktop) but the bin and the recycling were spread across the utility room, kitchen and dining room floor. The dog food is also kept well out of reach because he has previously got into cupboards to get to it!

I'm going to have to go out later and i'm considering duct-taping the door shut because he can clearly do the latch on it and is currently sat worrying the leather shoe lace that i've used to tie the door shut in addition to the latch.