Superb vid of a pack of 16!

Alec Swan

Visit site
A useful piece of film for those who are reliant upon leads, haltis and harnesses. Dogs under perfect control. It's always been my argument that dogs learn very little from a lead. Without a lead they learn to think. An excellent piece of film, and thank you.

This piece of film deserves 'Sticky status'!!

Alec.

Angelbones

Visit site
Wow, that's amazing - can't see it working for my lot! It reminded me of the bloodhounds near my yard - the man exercises them around the lanes on his bike and they are really a swarm around him; watching his every move for instruction. The bit that really impressed (well actually it all did) was the way they all moved over to avoid any other dogs and just kept going, no problem. Thanks for posting :)

_GG_

Visit site
That's exactly what my four are like...with the exception of the dogs thing. They will follow me, but they do like to have a sniff first, then they realise I've carried on and quickly catch up. It's an awesome feeling, but I only have 4, lol :)

fankino04

Visit site
Wow I get yelled at off strangers for having 1 well behaved malamute off lead god only knows what the reaction would be with a pack lol. To be honest my 2 would happily follow a bike like that, they stop at roads without being told but the new one would insist on saying hi to another dog before she catches me up and neither of them will chase anything I throw either in a field or river.

TBB

Visit site
I think he'd need a trailer on his bike if he was to "poop and Scoop" that lot!!!! Lovely to see, funny to hear the owner of the single dog being ignored as the pack goes by.

PorkChop

Visit site
Brilliant! I've got nine, very rarely on a lead - however I agree that in this country there are a lot of dog phobic people.

_GG_

Visit site
Brilliant! I've got nine, very rarely on a lead - however I agree that in this country there are a lot of dog phobic people.

I have a friend that won't visit my house. She knows, because other friends ha e told her that when I say I shut them away, I mean it and she knows she wouldn't have to have any contact or even see them, but she still won't come. She ran out of a park this week with her 10 month old son because a dog came over to her side of the park! I enquired, said dog was on a lead approximately 100 yards away and yes, she scooped everything into the buggy and carried her son as she ran from the park. She hopes her son feels the same way when he grows up. :(

PorkChop

Visit site
Ridiculous isn't it - I have had mothers scream at me to keep my dogs away from her children, which then of course worried said children who then ran over to her. At the time I had two Spaniels and a Rottweiler walking to heel!

_GG_

Visit site
Ridiculous isn't it - I have had mothers scream at me to keep my dogs away from her children, which then of course worried said children who then ran over to her. At the time I had two Spaniels and a Rottweiler walking to heel!

This friend is her own worst enemy. She's making it "her thing" and doesn't realise how much it is going to affect her son as he grows up. The father does his best!

I do have a friend who is genuinely petrified of dogs and used to run away when she saw them. We were at a big motorbike rideout in 2009 and she was going such a long way around our tent to get to the pub bless her. The dogs were all just inside our tent on long leads and the pups were only a year old, but her fear was real. We got chatting in the pub and she said if they come too close to her, she will scream, wave things at them to shoo them away and then run. We had a long chat. She agreed to spend some time with our four so that I could show her how much a dogs behaviour will be dictated by the way a human acts/reacts. She wouldn't do it and I didn't expect her to, but I got her husband to walk into the tent and lean down/make a fuss of the dogs...and they all got happy and excited and a couple jumped up until I told them to rest. She said the thought of that terrified her. Then, I grabbed another mate, who had never met my dogs and had him walk into the tent, but with his arms folded, ignoring the dogs and looking up at the roof. The dogs all walked over, had a quick sniff and went to lie down again.

My friend couldn't believe the difference. We did the two introductions about 2 hours apart. The next day, friend had slept on it and bless her, she said, "if I walk in the tent, what do I do if the dogs don't walk away after having a sniff?"...I said, "I'll tell them to go lie down". So, she did it. She folded her arms (she was almost in tears of fear bless her) but she walked in, looking up at the roof of the tent and all four dogs got waggy tails and went over for a sniff, the collies walked off and lay down, the pups sat in front of her looking up at her. She amazed me. She said, "AWAY" in a really confident voice and both pups duly hung their heads and went to lie down, lol. She almost burst with pride in herself. By the end of the day she was lying on the floor covered in dogs. She's still very nervous of dogs that she doesn't know and actually, she has a 10 month old son as well, but is determined not to let her fears rub off on him. If strange dogs come over, she stays still and calm and calls to the owner to get them back.

Alec Swan

Visit site

Generally, fear and fearful behaviour are transferred between humans and are understood by animals, far quicker than is confidence. Complete indifference is the trick, but with a dog looking for a way in, it can be a bit difficult to hold one's nerve! Similarly, and it was very well demonstrated in the remarkable piece of film, the guy with the loose dog which was barking at the pack, and the owner became agitated, it would hardly have been the fault of the pack, had they reacted, and it spoke volumes for the (pack) owner that not one dog seemed to turn a hair. Such confidence! Panic can often bring on an attack which would otherwise not have happened.

On the opening bit of the film, it referred to them as 'Sled dogs', were they? They didn't look like any Sled dogs which I've ever seen, in fact with the exception of the pale coloured dogs, they looked like cross bred Dobes, or hounds of a sort! I'd be interested to know if they were a specific breed, and or if there's more of a story behind the subject and his dogs.

Alec.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
On the opening bit of the film, it referred to them as 'Sled dogs', were they? They didn't look like any Sled dogs which I've ever seen, in fact with the exception of the pale coloured dogs, they looked like cross bred Dobes, or hounds of a sort! I'd be interested to know if they were a specific breed, and or if there's more of a story behind the subject and his dogs.

Alec.

My guess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurohound

LittleMonster

Visit site
Great video! and brilliant leadership over the dogs! the moving over out the way really impressed me!

But regarding dog phobic people R is great! she is a 'mean' looking dog (apparently but her personality is the complete opposite!) and she has become a sort of Dog role model for the kids in the park who come over and stroke her/have a little play and parents always ask as they want there kids to accept dogs! And im more then happy as it helps me get her used to strangers as she is quite nervous :D (altho i don't let loud bouncy children)

But you get the rare few, i had someone red faced come up to me and tell me i need to put my ''dangerous dog'' on the lead (she had just knocked me over my own fault though i should've moved lol!)

Alec Swan

Visit site
(Ets, blackcob!) Well done, and thank you!!

An interesting article, in that it seems that by creating the dogs which they want, then replacements are produced by replicating the breeding, but presumably with tweeks. What they DON'T do, is use the previous generation of cross-breed, to produce the next. All so often, here in the UK, breeders breed lurcher to lurcher, and wonder why it doesn't work. It seems that these Nordic breeders have worked out for themselves that by cross-breeding, and when it works, then the breeder returns to the drawing board, rather than trying to create a new breed. Such common sense!

I suppose that the dogs which you've highlighted from a sled dog stand point, would be similar to our own Fell Hounds, which are dogs bred to race, rather than to hunt, with the requirement being that they are light, fast and have boundless stamina.

I shall now go and have some fun doing a bit of research! Again, thank you, and it never fails to surprise me how this forum is it's own mini-wikipedia!!

Alec.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Saving my place for a more lengthy reply tonight when I'm not at work but Alec I probably have a video somewhere of this type of dog working in harness in the UK to share with you. They are very much a type rather than an attempt to create a distinct breed (rather like the Alaskan husky used in their creation) and absolutely phenomenal in working terms.