Superglue testing...

Auslander

Visit site
Alf is in disgrace! He VERY nearly had me today!

Mooching along a (thankfully) quiet lane, on the buckle, chilling out - when completely out of the blue, he spooked, whipped round and bogged off down the road. I was completely caught unawares, and had a slightly heart stopping moment, when i felt myself about to exit stage left! Somehow managed to get myself back on board (thank god for neckstraps), and pulled him up, just before he landed in the ditch beside the road.

For such a big horse, he is amazingly sharp and quick. I usually get enough warning to at least pick the reins up, but not today. He tried it again when we carried on, and got a smacked bottom for his troubles. He is a toad!!

Fools Motto

Visit site
2 of my worst falls were in walk!
They are right devils... i'm sure someone measured their spooks at 54mph - bloody no wander I find myself getting left behind! (or on the deck!)

Auslander

Visit site
I swear I was hanging out to the side at one point! I should probably feel sorry that I took his back teeth out getting myself back in the saddle, but if he hadn't done it, i wouldn't have needed to!

He's trashed his brand new brushing boots too - first time he's worn them, and they're scuffed and scratched to hell. Least it wash;t his legs, I suppose!

twiggy2

Visit site
I had a 'trit trot trit trot, stop dead, drop left shoulder' moment today, I nearly exited stage left too and all because a mole had created a mound and it was not the same colour as the grass!!!

pansy

Visit site
We were walking through the woods where we normally go & I ended up on the floor sat in front of a very surprised horse who looked at me to say what are you doing there !

Auslander

Visit site
I had a 'trit trot trit trot, stop dead, drop left shoulder' moment today, I nearly exited stage left too and all because a mole had created a mound and it was not the same colour as the grass!!!

I think it was a gate that set him off. Same gate he passes very regularly - but it must have looked at him funny today.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I had an hilarious fall at a slow walk without stirrups going round a corner in the school, just slid and couldn't stop. My instructor was wetting herself!

Baileybones

Visit site
My mare was acting oddly last Sunday - all spooky and snorting which is very out of character when she suddenly ground to a halt on the very steep hill (road). Before I knew it she was on tip toes and taking a pee. I stood up in stirrups to take the pressure off of her back and she suddenly launched sideways and nearly dropped me face first out of the side door! She was spooking at her own pee running down the hill! Cue posh neighbourhood being woken up to bad language ;-)

Hippona

Visit site
Mine threw himself sideways from a standstill yesterday....a purple patch of flowers was to blame.
The burning fridge in the hedge bottom plus fire engine not 100m away did not register....

Luckily I stayed on, because I have a feeling the crowd of spectators thought I was the mounted division approaching......;)

Auslander

Visit site
Horses are so weird! He is utterly bombproof in traffic - there are heavy plant vehicles everywhere near us, and he doesn't bat an eyelid. He had a look at a prat in a Ferrrari, who made an awful lot of noise coming past us far too close, and he didn't even notice the obnoxious ass who slammed his brakes on and revved furiously at him for daring to ask him to slow down. Fenceline changing from hedge to metal though - lid well and truly flipped!

He's feeling far too well at the moment - was much easier when his legs were hurting him!

misskk88

Visit site
I had to giggle at these- and glad you managed to stay mounted OP!

I use to own a horse that wouldn't spook 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 4th time. It would be the 10th time riding past something that he suddenly would throw his toys out of the pram about the cows in the field, or the plastic bag in the tree. First time doing road work we rode past stop signs on the road, telephone boxes, lorries etc he did not bat an eyelid- even had to lead a TB who wasn't scared of anything past! That bag though... that bag that hadn't moved from the tree in weeks was out to get him. obv.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Alf is in disgrace! He VERY nearly had me today!

Mooching along a (thankfully) quiet lane, on the buckle, chilling out - when completely out of the blue, he spooked, whipped round and bogged off down the road. I was completely caught unawares,

Wandering along 'on the buckle' is a recipe for disaster, always keep a contact. I know of people who are carrying serious injury or have died through this. :(

OwnedbyJoe

endurancedownunder.wordpress.com
I have been dumped at a walk: after 35 kilometres (20+ miles) of pretty much non stop trot. It was at a stick on the path...
I have to say I HATE that theory of always having a contact... Surely they can have a rest too? Contact in the arena, relaxation on a hack. You do need to be good at the "hand over hand" technique of rein recovery though.

Auslander

Visit site
Wandering along 'on the buckle' is a recipe for disaster, always keep a contact. I know of people who are carrying serious injury or have died through this. :(

Sorry - but I disagree completely! Maybe for a novice who can't sit a spook, or isn't quick enough to pick up a contact in an emergency, but as a general rule, I believe horses should be allowed to stretch. Nothing bugs me more than seeing people out hacking with a death grip on the poor horse at all times.

I've been riding for 35 years, teaching for 20, and consider myself to be an experienced, competent horsewoman. Hacking is an opportunity for the horse to relax and stretch, which it can't do if its being ridden on a contact at all times. Sure - we had a woopsie yesterday, but no harm was done. 98% of the time, I'm lightening fast at picking up the reins when something happens - yesterday was one of the few times I've been caught off guard. It happens...

I ride him on the bit when in traffic, or if he's being an idiot, and let him relax and stretch when we're on quiet roads, and I will continue to do so. I'll just keep a close eye out for metal gates, that are loitering with intent!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Mine has been very interesting to sit on recently - our sideways manoeuvres would make any parelli fan proud! In his defence he has now met more tractors in the last week than he has in the last 5 years, and the windmills which he's never seen before, he isn't brave at the best of times so it's made for some very interesting hacks! Also he's part shire, part welsh....

GinnyBells

Visit site
My mums horse was bombproof in traffic and with 'scary animals' in trees etc but once she saw those white lines that mark the road at a junction the world would end and she would lose her mind. Luckily it was only on quiet country roads which she did it, on busy roads she was fine. I can't think of anything else that she was actually scared of, she was wary but brave and never spooked.

Hippona

Visit site
Sorry - but I disagree completely! Maybe for a novice who can't sit a spook, or isn't quick enough to pick up a contact in an emergency, but as a general rule, I believe horses should be allowed to stretch. Nothing bugs me more than seeing people out hacking with a death grip on the poor horse at all times.

I've been riding for 35 years, teaching for 20, and consider myself to be an experienced, competent horsewoman. Hacking is an opportunity for the horse to relax and stretch, which it can't do if its being ridden on a contact at all times. Sure - we had a woopsie yesterday, but no harm was done. 98% of the time, I'm lightening fast at picking up the reins when something happens - yesterday was one of the few times I've been caught off guard. It happens...

I ride him on the bit when in traffic, or if he's being an idiot, and let him relax and stretch when we're on quiet roads, and I will continue to do so. I'll just keep a close eye out for metal gates, that are loitering with intent!
Totally agree....and on occasion it's feet out of stirrups too;)

frostyfingers

Visit site
Mine throws in an occasional spook just to make sure I'm awake - he did it the other day when a horse eating leaf blew across the track. He almost had me last year when cantering along the field margins he stopped absolutely dead from a luckily slowish canter, snorted and tried to whip round. All because a clump of leaves in front looked slightly different from when he last saw them 24 hours earlier! I was up and over his ears but managed to hang on. It took a good few minutes to get him past, god knows what he thought it might do.

SuperCoblet

Visit site
When we had lots of snow last year the arenas were covered for 2 weeks so unable to ride + fit cobbie + stabled on haylege, I thought 'its only gyp he'll be fine' so jumped straight on. Proceeding half an hour of bronking and squealing in excitement in trot and canter. Thought I finally got it out of him so walked on a reasonably loose rein he suddenly shot upwards, I kid you not, all four feet about 10ft upwards and span and bucked, all in 1! Cue my bum meeting the floor :eek:

twiggy2

Visit site
my superglue failed today when a patch of grass was a different colour to the rest of the grass around it and we stopped all forward motion and engaged a twirl on the hind quarters at speed

LeneHorse

Visit site
I've been hacking my mare out on her own recently as hacking partner is lame. She is a LOT more on her toes and spooky when out by herself and there have been a few superglue moments. She has also started trying to jog on the way home - something I can't abide. Tonight was relatively calm - we only had one major spook.
I am another one who likes to hack on a long rein but madam takes advantage of this by trying to grab a bite of grass/hedge/trees so when there's temptation around I have to keep the reins fairly short.
She is quite full of herself at the moment.

PS hope this reply works as I have been unable to post or reply for weeks - just been getting a grey box - so this reply is a bit of a test case!