Supermarket wormers/flea treatments

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Just a quick one....Is Frontline and drontal sold in my local Asda the same strength and quality of that sold in my vets. Its a bit cheaper but need to get some today and if I can get it from Asda saves a 12 mile drive in the other way to the vets !!!
Thanks all

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Quick answer - no! Most of the over the counter stuff doesn't work now , although it is more expensive short term to get stuff from the vets long term it is more cost effective as it is likely to do the job.

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Thanks Murphysminder....have noticed that frontline doesn't work like it used to....is it the dawn of the superflea . Heading off to the vets ! thanks for your reply x

Baileybones

Visit site
If you work out how to kill the superflea pls let me know how! I'm literally pulling my hair out this year and can't beat them!
Dogs have never needed treating so much but it's just not working and I've been through cans of household spray that has killed everything but the fleas it seems. A poor moth just walked across the floor last night and then keeled over whilst the bloody fleas are still going strong!
I have a flea collar in the Dyson and I'm hovering and spraying everyday. The spray claims to work for 12 months but I'd settle for 12 days right now :-(
Vets told me they've never known a year so bad.
I'm thinking of shaving the dogs!!!!!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Over the counter Frontline (blue pipette) is not the same as prescription only Frontline Combo (green pipette) - the latter contains an insect growth regulator and helps with environmental control. Anecdotally fipronil is no longer as effective as it was anyway but the studies show it still works.

Drontal is the same everywhere AFAIK but we dispense Milbemax for preference as it treats/prevents lungworm when used monthly.

A good household spray (Indorex, Acclaim, RIP Flea, not Bob Martin) and a prescription treatment for all pets in household (Stronghold, Advocate, Bravecto etc.) should shift them. :)

PucciNPoni

Visit site
There's a new product out that might be of interest - Bravecto! I started using that for my dogs - the poodle is sensitive and burned from a spot on last year.

Suffolkangel

Visit site
My vets now use Advocate rather than Frontline due to parasites being immune... here's the info from the Bayer page (the manufacturers)

This product delivers what others only promise: Broad protection against common internal as well as external parasites in dogs and cats - in one product and with one spot-on application only!

Advocate which is registered under the trademark Advantage Multi in several countries, combines excellent flea and lice efficacy (imidacloprid) with sound protecion against heartworm infestations, gastrointestinal worms as well as mites (moxidectin).

Being the Companion Animal parasiticide with the most complete spectrum of indications available, a one spot-on application per month safeguards against a very large range of parasites in cats and dogs.
Advocate is a combination of imidacloprid and moxidectin, designed for simple dermal spot-on application which allows an easy and stress-free application. In addition, it gives the possibility to treat and prevent against a large range of parasites:

What could be simpler for pet owners to remember and more reassuring for a vet to prescribe?

Advocate does it.
Advocate is an ideal product offering

heartworm prevention
flea and lice treatment and prevention of flea infestations. The product can be also used as part of a treatment strategy for FAD (Flea Allergy Dermatitis)
gastrointestinal worm control including several larval stages
treatment and prevention of lungworms in dogs (Angiostrongylus vasorum and treatment of crenosoma vulpis)
control of ear mites in cats and dogs
control of sarcoptic mange in dogs
control of Demodex mites in dogs

Biglets Mummy

Visit site
Thanks everyone...It seems Fleas are a massive issue at the moment...I made the mistake of trying a new product called Fibro something from Countrywide and it didnt kill one flea. Went to the vets last night and got Advocate . Receptionist said that everyone is in the same boat....Thanks for all the replies everyone xxx

LBF

Visit site
Another thought slightly off-topic. You can get a prescription from your vets (I think mine charge about £6/7?) and get it online from somewhere like vedmedic.
I get 6 months for £26 + £7 for prescription. From the vets 6 months works out nearly 50 quid for me!

Meems

Visit site
Should you de-flea your dog if it doesn't have fleas? Because mine doesn't and she hasn't been deflead in about a year!

Well I don't, I haven't treated her for fleas for years. Obviously, if she had them I would treat them but she hasn't so I don't! A bit like worming my horse - I mainly just do worm counts.

{97702}

Visit site
Another thought slightly off-topic. You can get a prescription from your vets (I think mine charge about £6/7?) and get it online from somewhere like vedmedic.
I get 6 months for £26 + £7 for prescription. From the vets 6 months works out nearly 50 quid for me!

I said this to my vets - so they discounted the cost of the drugs I get from them :)

LadyRascasse

Visit site
FYI Bob martin flea clear is exactly the same as the over the counter frontline. I personally use a Seresto collar and milbemax as my dog has skin problems so I don't like to use something I can't take off if he has a reaction. No fleas or ticks but then he has never had fleas or ticks so I don't know if its the collar or we are just lucky :)

twiggy2

Visit site
FYI Bob martin flea clear is exactly the same as the over the counter frontline. I personally use a Seresto collar and milbemax as my dog has skin problems so I don't like to use something I can't take off if he has a reaction. No fleas or ticks but then he has never had fleas or ticks so I don't know if its the collar or we are just lucky :)

bob martin flea treatment for dogs also contains an ingredient that is poisonous to cats so proceed with caution and also there is known resistance to the active ingredient in bob martin and frontline flea treatments and that is why frontline combo has been launched

Dizzydancer

Visit site
This thread has made me feel better! I have been treating our lab as normal but just can't get on too of them this year- off to vets tues to get some advocate for him and the two cats- and then I'll spray the house too to bottom again!!

twiggy2

Visit site
This thread has made me feel better! I have been treating our lab as normal but just can't get on too of them this year- off to vets tues to get some advocate for him and the two cats- and then I'll spray the house too to bottom again!!

I always suggest people spray any outside areas that cats or dogs like to spend lots of time laying about, sunbathing spots for example