Supplement for inflammation/swelling/tissue damage

emilyandnessa

Visit site
My mare is now completely sound and starting light work again after tendon injury (still under supervision of vet who is very happy with progress and confident that I can bring her back into work) however there is some residual swelling in the soft tissues on the inside of her leg which we are working to reduce but will take time. Currently I am using an topical arnica gel however I would like to use something orally as well I can find loads of joint supplements but none for inflammation or tissue damage, I have a friend who is a homeopath who I can approach will be asking for arnica & rus-tox. Would be interested if any one has found anything specificly developed for equines does not have to be herbal or homeopathic. (ps mare is pregnant… hopefully)

cellie

Visit site
I had discussion with my vet about maintenace after tendon injury and ligament he suggested a good quality glucosomine product.I use newmarkket joint supplement.It wont help with swelling but will give building blocks for repair and maintenance which is what you need long term.

shazza283

Visit site
Bute is OK in pregnant mares but any drugs can be too many drugs when pregnant - wouldn't do much now anyway - the swelling which remains is most likely to be the healing process - ie scar tissue - this will remodel, over time, but the best way to get it to remodel in the right shape is to do what you are doing and gradually restart work. Agree with Cellie - glucosamine (and poss chondroitin) are the building blocks for the tendons so a good supply of those will give the best chance to heal, also make sure getting a good balanced vit/mineral supply - remodelling is fast in the beginning and then decelerates to an end point around 1-2 years from the initial injury - that doesn't mean that she can't go back int full work bfore that - just that it will be v subtly changing over that time.
Arnica again is best used in the early stages - (I'm no homeopath but I thought rhus tox was for arthritis ?) - so I'd spend the cash on the G/C supplement - the arnica gel skin application and massage should help with remodelling also. (may help to increase blood supply at least to skin in the area and shift any fluid accumulation)
Hope my ramblings help
smile.gif
blush.gif
wink.gif

emilyandnessa

Visit site
I don’t think devils claw is any good for pregnant mares, bute is but not what i was looking for i think i will go for equine America Glucosimine & MSM supplement or NAF MSM supplement im now going to feed baileys stud ballencer which claims to have lots of tissue development properties hopefully the combo with a bit of cod liver oil should ease her movement and help the healing process thanks for every ones help any further suggestions welcomed.