Supplement recommendations for stiff joints?

suef1

Visit site
My 16 yr old mare has a bit of stiffness/ possible arthritis in her hock. She is a bit stiff on when she comes out of he stable and at the beginning of a schooling session. She does loosen up and using it better after about 20 minutes but can anyone give me any recommendations on a supplement to use? She is already on Cortaflex (has been for years) but I was thinking something like Cod Liver Oil? I have been told about Bute No More etc etc- are these any good? She is a fussy TB so doesnt like too much in her food!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
My old boy could sometimes be a little stiff in the morning when he was inside and I used Cod Liver Oil on him and it worked very well indeed. I bought several small bottles of it from boots I think (it was fairly cheap so may have been a supermarket) because of this it would be a good thing to try, if it doesn't work then you haven't had to buy loads or spend a lot on it.

mickey

Visit site
I seem to reply to one of these every day! I am going to save the text and paste it in from now on!
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

Extraflex HA from Feedmark is what I would recommend.
smile.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
There seems to be a million different products on the market now - it seems almost impossible to choose the right one as what one person reports works for them doesn't work for someone else and vice versa.

I've just - today in fact - started my two (including one approaching 20) on GLM - Green Lipped Mussels. I'm using the tablets from Pernamax - I've read some great reports but I'll wait and see with my own eyes before I'm convinced. I've been using Coraflex on my older horse for a couple of years but came off it about four months ago and haven't noticed any difference now he's not on it. I may well try some of the Extraflex HA as well as the GLM and see how that goes. I just wish there was some more conclusive research on what works and what doesn't as every one seems to spend a fortune on various different products.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I seem to reply to one of these every day! I am going to save the text and paste it in from now on!
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

Extraflex HA from Feedmark is what I would recommend.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't - but then I read the ASA ruling on their advertising claims - [ QUOTE ]
The ad breached CAP Code clauses 3.1 (Substantiation), 6.1 (Honesty), 7.1 (Truthfulness), 18.1 and 18.3 (Comparisons with identified competitors and their products), 19.1 (Other comparisons), 20.2 (Denigration and unfair advantage) and 50.1 (Health and beauty products and therapies) but did not breach clause 18.2 (Comparisons with identified competitors and their products).

[/ QUOTE ]

I also WOULDN'T recommend a joint supplement that does not disclose in its advertising just what the spec is! (And if anyone knows what the Extraflex HA spec is, I'd be interested because it's not even on the American site which is still making the wild claims that brought it into dispute with the ASA here.)

I DO recommend Riaflex Complete because:

1. Its spec is at LEAST as good as Synequin (which is 3 times the price and recommended by most vets!) - AND it fully discloses its spec.

2. I've been using it for 2 years on a horse that was on the verge of being put down after vet's best efforts failed - he's now hunting regularly again as Field Master's horse!

3. I've been using it for a year on my 16 year old RID stallion who was definitely 'feeling' a hind fetlock - ruddy horse has got at LEAST 3 years younger on it!

http://www.riaflex-equine.co.uk/?section=products

mickey

Visit site
Ah Wasn't aware of all that - As aren't probably most of the other people on here that regularly recommend Extraflex. All I can say it that it really does work for my horse - And I know, because I have tried many others. So I'll be sticking with what works for him.
smile.gif