Supplement recommendations

Ind

Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for a good year-round gp vitamin/mineral supplement for a 14.3 Iberian gelding, does anyone have any recommendations?

He's in work 5/6 days per week, and doesn't get any hard feed at all as he's such a good-doer. Am on NAF general purpose at the moment, but, honestly, I haven't noticed a huge improvement in skin condition, mane growth etc. from it. I have heard good things about the NAF seaweed stuff?

Something aimed at improving hair/skin condition would be super as he's got a hugely long mane and is prone to very itchy/dry skin, especially in the mane/tail area.
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Bilbo_Baggins

Visit site
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Hubblick-Hoof-Hide-for-Horses/productinfo/HUBLHH/

this is supposed to be very good and was recommended to me for hooves, it does hair too though :) I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet so maybe wait until someone else replies :)

Show-ready stuff looks pretty good too for mane and coat condition and improvement. I am looking to get some for my boy as his tail is just really rough at the moment and our usual mane and tail conditioner isn't touching it!

Ind

Visit site
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Hubblick-Hoof-Hide-for-Horses/productinfo/HUBLHH/

this is supposed to be very good and was recommended to me for hooves, it does hair too though :) I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet so maybe wait until someone else replies :)

Show-ready stuff looks pretty good too for mane and coat condition and improvement. I am looking to get some for my boy as his tail is just really rough at the moment and our usual mane and tail conditioner isn't touching it!

Great, thank you! That's a bonus that it's good for hooves too. :) Will definitely have a look into show-ready as well!

Bilbo_Baggins

Visit site
Great, thank you! That's a bonus that it's good for hooves too. :) Will definitely have a look into show-ready as well!

Yea, it does have molasses in it so not the best, particularly for those prone to lami, worth taking into consideration, I didn't mention in my first post.

The show-ready detangler/polisher has vit B5 and keratin and is supposed to help strengthen hair as well as giving it a nice glossy finish. They also have a lot of testimonials on their facebook page and website. The results look amazing, I have to say! I have also been looking at the hydrate 24 kits...also looks quite good :)

Ind

Visit site
Try micronized linseed - ours have noticeably glossier, softer coats when they're on it. Not feed atm because they're HUGE :(

Thanks! Do you find that it causes a lot of weight gain? Possibly best for mine for when the grass has gone down a bit, they're all huge here too!

Ind

Visit site
Yea, it does have molasses in it so not the best, particularly for those prone to lami, worth taking into consideration, I didn't mention in my first post.

The show-ready detangler/polisher has vit B5 and keratin and is supposed to help strengthen hair as well as giving it a nice glossy finish. They also have a lot of testimonials on their facebook page and website. The results look amazing, I have to say! I have also been looking at the hydrate 24 kits...also looks quite good :)

Haha, I was just looking at the some of the before & after photos... Wow! It certainly looks like good stuff :)

epemberton94

Visit site
Show Ready all the way! I've been using it on my boy for over a year now and have seen a massive improvement in the quality of his mane and tail. I also use Hydrate 24 on his coat and it's become so soft it's mad! Plus none of it contains any oils so it doesn't make your reins or saddle slippery :)

Bilbo_Baggins

Visit site
Show Ready all the way! I've been using it on my boy for over a year now and have seen a massive improvement in the quality of his mane and tail. I also use Hydrate 24 on his coat and it's become so soft it's mad! Plus none of it contains any oils so it doesn't make your reins or saddle slippery :)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience with it epemberton94, I am looking forward to trying it on my boy too :)

pansymouse

Visit site
Thanks! Do you find that it causes a lot of weight gain? Possibly best for mine for when the grass has gone down a bit, they're all huge here too!

The weight gain is due to excess grass; they're muzzled 24/7 and on a small patch but both still stubbornly carrying "grass foals". They're fit and it regular vigorous exercise. Beginning to wish someone would come up with an equine gastric band.

Ind

Visit site

Thanks! That's really helpful :)

Ind

Visit site
The weight gain is due to excess grass; they're muzzled 24/7 and on a small patch but both still stubbornly carrying "grass foals". They're fit and it regular vigorous exercise. Beginning to wish someone would come up with an equine gastric band.

Haha! Yes, if only... :)

Leo Walker

Visit site

Mine is a proper fatty and hes also scurfy with lots of coarse hair. He gets 50gms of linseed. Enough to add a bit of shine and a lovely deep coat colour without any weight gain. He also gets Progressive Earths Platinum Plus. Hes gets that as hes on a permanent diet, when he wasnt he got the cheaper Pro Mineral