Supplement(s) for helping/ ruling out ulcers

soloequestrian

Visit site
I posted in vet about this already and there were two suggestions to explain my mare's behaviour - ulcers (hindgut more likely) or that she's just ticklish.
Things that maybe point to ulcers: often threatens to bite and kick while grooming, tacking up and putting rugs on (especially when I'm on her off side); slight objection to mounting in the school; can be spooky
Things that maybe point to something else: great condition, not gassy, droppings are nicely formed; seems to enjoy being ridden, forwards, very willing to stretch; worse about having numnah put on than actual saddle, gets cross if the girth brushes against her but fine when its tightened; no reaction to mounting when we're going on a hack
I've spoken to the vet and they're not pushing to investigate ulcers. I don't want to go down that route either particularly - it sounds stressful, expensive and potentially inconclusive. I would like to try a supplement that is designed to help with gut health to see if there is any improvement - quite like the look of Equimins 'Inner Balance Probiotics' and I could add brewers yeast too as suggested by the vet. I'll discuss with Equimins and also Premier Performance - she's on their Sassy Mare already and it does seem to help with the spookiness. In the meantime I wondered if anyone has reviews of these or suggestions for anything else?

visa_bot

Visit site
Just a thought but my mare had similar behaviour and we did scope her and no ulcers. Eventually I had her ovaries removed laparoscopically and turns out she had granulosa cell tumours in both ovaries. She’s fine now. Just something else to consider. Scanning ovaries didn’t show anything, only when they were analysed after removal.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Is aloe vera more for gastric ulcers? Presume it will be absorbed before it hits the colon? Is there a standard amount to feed? I know I can get it in 'Home Bargains' or one of those shops in human sized bottles, is that the best place?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Is aloe vera more for gastric ulcers? Presume it will be absorbed before it hits the colon? Is there a standard amount to feed? I know I can get it in 'Home Bargains' or one of those shops in human sized bottles, is that the best place?

Best price is 5 litres on ebay about £40. Feed 50ml a day if you suspect ulcers or hind gut acidosis, should calm things down in days in my experience.