Supplement - What Do You Use And Why?

albeg

Visit site
Balsamic air for his breathing
Just started on Equimins Flexijoint so we'll see after the tub how much it's helped him.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Both geldings get Pro Hoof & magnesium - one is barefoot and the other has tiny feet (compared to his size) that just don't grow much according to the farrier!

The youngster also gets micronised linseed (he came to me very thin). He is now blossoming and has a lovely shiny coat!

southerncomfort

Visit site
One of mine has no supplements at all.

The other (age 24) has Boswellia, Nil-bute and magnesium.

Both are on a balancer so get all their vits & mins from that.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
NF has Top Spec lite.
TF goes on Global Herbs Immuplus from early April through to end of June as this is the only thing that really does help with her pollen allergies, mostly its horse chestnut that sets her off.

JillA

Visit site
Formula4feet
Rigcalm

I am tempted to put him on Equitop Myoplast for a while to help his back muscles grow on top of working him, but going to ask the vet tomorrow for her opinion. Just want to try and prevent the kissing spine from returning and for that, he needs to develop his back muscles which seems to be the only place where they dont develop.

Equitop myoplast is just sugar coated spirulina. Save your self some money and just buy the spirulina lol, I am a serial label reader and would always go for the "straights" rather than the proprietory versions.

So mine have minerals balanced to their home grown forage (including seaweed for iodine) plus selenium, amino acids like lysine and methionine , as well as spirulina for those in need of more protein, mycosorb as they are no longer spring chickens lol and glucosamine/MSM for the pigeon toed one to support his fetlock joints. He is also an itcher so both have micronised linseed.

Cost me a blimmin fortune - I wish I didn't have to but both are "special needs" lol

Auslander

Visit site
Formula4feet
Rigcalm

I am tempted to put him on Equitop Myoplast for a while to help his back muscles grow on top of working him, but going to ask the vet tomorrow for her opinion. Just want to try and prevent the kissing spine from returning and for that, he needs to develop his back muscles which seems to be the only place where they dont develop.

Have a read of this before you spend a fortune on Myoplast! http://davidmarlin.co.uk/portfolio/the-science-of-equine-muscle-building-supplements/

Visit site
Diva - Nothing. Gets hi fi lite/few pony nuts and hay in winter though. (but only very little)
Rosie - same
Holly - same. But on soaked hay instead of grass right now.
Henry - Cod liver oil when he can be persuaded it isn't going to kill him...gets mollichaff, pony nuts and fast fibre in winter too (and hay of course). Sometimes apple juice to make the oil more palatable.
Alfie - micronised linseed, soya oil, mollichaff, pony nuts, fast fibre + hay in winter. In summer just grass and hay. And a calmer if he's on box rest - usually global herbs thoroughbred calmer. Not sure if bute and sedalin are supplements but he gets those lots as well when he's on box rest(!) plus top spec balancer depending on what the grass is like - this year it's great so he's not on it, last year he had to have it though.
Yes he's high maintenance! VERY! absolutely lives up to TB stereotypes in that respects but temperamentally is a puppy!!!

They all have salt licks available 24/7 as well.

007Equestrian

Visit site
We just use a vet-supplied joint supplement to help prevent joint issues with my horse as he's training Advanced/PSG at the moment and is in his early teens. It may just be expensive baby powder for all I know but it has greatly reduced the windgalls he's had from a 4 year old more than anything else has. Superflex, Cortaflex, Glucosamine etc had no effect.

Nasicus

Visit site
Both get:
Equine America Turmeric (Has linseed in it) + Black Pepper
Super Codlivine Complete Supplement
Blacksalt
Mag Ox (both barefoot)

This gets mixed into some speedibeet and plain oatstraw chaff.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Linseed and a vit/min supplement by Mühldorfer. Horse in question is shiny and full of energy, living out 24/7 in ''natural/biological'' pastures that have not been tested in a while and nutritionally might be lacking.

lrw0250

Visit site
Progressive Earth Pro-Hoof and a small amount of Equus Health Summer Shine Winter Glow, which is linseed, fenugreek, garlic, seaweed and mint. In winter I up the linseed by adding some straight micronized linseed. I also use Protexin if we have a sloppy pooh period when grazing changes.

nikkimariet

Visit site
13yo exracer competing Inter 1 has Suppleaze Gold and Lubrisyn HA for joints. Mega Build for muscle. That's it!

The 3yo WB has Suppleaze Gold only.

They both get linseed but I view that as a feed.

SallyBatty

Visit site
NAF General Purpose supplement as she doesn't have the recommended amount of hard feed.
NAF Respirator which helps her breathing.
Cortaflex which does work for her in keeping her supple.

ihatework

Visit site
Not a lot.
I have a yearling and a retired mare, the only supplement to grass and haylage they get is a mineral block in the field and pelleted balancer through the worst of the winter.

When the mare was competing she was on a restricted diet so had equimins advance complete in some chaff, salt in the hot weather and monthly pentosan IM.

The various event horses run off grass, haylage and spiller balancer (with cubes if they need more weight/energy). Although one did get the winergy breathing supplement for a while as he was a bit dust allergy

Last edited: