Supplements/feed for a HW cob?

Jingleballs

Visit site
Casp is currently (and probably always will be) in light work - 2/3 hacks a week, 2 x lunging with pessoa and a lesson/show/schooling session a week.

He is a very good doer, will live out for the summer but I'll probably have to muzzle him to keep the weigh off and also bring him in off the grass for a few hours each day.

He currently gets a tiny scoop of hifi lite which I mix in with 2 cups of top spec lite.

I'm not overly concerned with giving him a feed but he is barefoot so I want to make sure he gets what he needs to keep his feet strong and to keep him looking healthy.

He's been on the top spec for about 9 months and is fine with it but I was wondering if there was anything I could replace it with even just over the summer?

He'll eat most powdered supplement but I need something that's got plenty of biotin in it for his feed as well as general vits and minerals.

I'd also ideally like something cheaper - it's about £27 for a bag of top spec which lasts about 6 - 8 weeks but the prices just keep going up.

Any suggestions?

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
Sorry no ideas but as I have a filly and plan on keeping her barefoot I'm interested in the answers
tongue.gif

How about ringing the helplines of the various feed companies and see what they recommend?

Taffster

Visit site
Why not reduce the topspec to one cup, that way it will last twice as long, if hes out on grass he will be getting all the goodness he needs.
I cant think of anything better than topspec it is amazing however it does give condition

Jingleballs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry no ideas but as I have a filly and plan on keeping her barefoot I'm interested in the answers
tongue.gif

How about ringing the helplines of the various feed companies and see what they recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

I went through that last year and found that most were not very helpful and just quick to plug their own products regardless of whether or not they were right for C!

bex1984

Visit site
In terms of the vits and mins I use D&H Equibites and I think they're fantastic because they're low cal and you can feed them as if they're treats so you don't have to put them in a feed
smile.gif
Not sure if they've got biotin in though...

HelsB

Visit site
I supplement my (berefoot) boy's diet with Seaweed - it is cheap, high in vits/minerals and great for hooves and coat

I have been using this for several years now and it works for us

amycov

Visit site
I used Benevit Advance which seems to be really good. It does have biotin in it but I'm not sure if the amount compares well to other supplements.

1275gta

Visit site
We feed our cobs one feed a day. They have small cup of beet pulp, small cup of light mix, Naff Olivite, Black salts and garlic. They have 8 hours turn out aday and two lots of hay.

They all look very well and have really good coats. We have all ours shod but have one who has poor feet and we give this one biotin.

pottamus

Visit site
I use Feedmarks Benevit as an all round vit/min supplement in a couple of handfuls of hi fi lite for my good doer. Why not just get Biotin on its own and put that in some chaff??

tabithakat64

Visit site
What Becky said, Equibites are a fab way of ensuring fatties get their vitamins and minerals without loads of calories or lots of expense (£7.50 for 6 weeks ish). My horses will not eat powdered supplements.

kellyeaton

Visit site
i would just go with seaweed as well good for all vits mins trace elments amio acids and is very good for coat and hoofs!