Supplements for a sticky stifle?

Denbob

Visit site
My baby boy (4 1/2 ISH x ID) has been locking up in the stable and on downward transitions. I've only recently bought him and already on a progamme of hill work, hacking, and poles. He's been a star and is adapting really well, but I've spoken to a few people who've had similar issues and they've recommended joint supplements to help with the locking up. Any particular recommendations?

He doesn't need any extra energy really so any recommendations for something low-cal/no fuss I could sneak it in with would be really helpful! Thanks!

Shay

Visit site
A sticky stifle has two causes - so far as I know - and neither respond to supplements. Either there is air collecting in the joint which causes a pop or snap sound as the horse starts to work in. That sorts itself with a slow warm up and (I hope from a recent vetting!) has no long term clinical implications. The other is a conformation fault which causes the stifle to slip out of joint and stick that way - sometimes for a step or so, sometimes longer. Sometimes young horses do grow out of a sticky stifle as the conformation changes - but not all do.

Did you have him vetted? Either form should have shown up. What did the vet say?

NZJenny

Visit site
What Shay said. I have had two horses with "sticky stifle", I tried both on Pentosan, but ultimately it didn't really help. They were by the same stallion, and I endurance rode both, one stayed sounder for longer but ultimately both retired due to low grade hind limb lameness. IME they drag the toe of the affected leg and it gets worse over time, you may not notice it but if you ride on sand or an arena type surface where you can clearly see the hoof prints it will be obvious. They both had episodes of being very lame and their level of fitness or the type of work made no difference.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mine has all but grown out of it and is working medium dressage at home and jumps a metre. He's now seven. I understand most horses of the age yours is grow out of it.

The stifle joint is not 'slipping out', Shay, it's just that the ligament which locks the leg for sleeping won't release. I've had mine x rayed twice as a precaution and he has perfect stifle joints and good hind leg conformation.

The old remedy of cutting a ligament is no longer recommended except as a last resort, but if yours doesn't grow out of it, OP, there are treatments to scar the problem tendon to tighten it.

I don't think any supplement will help you, though I understand why you hired there might be one. It's not a joint problem, just a lax ligament.

ellie_e

Visit site
My youngster had a 'sticky stifle' I use Epilites Forte as a joint supplement, as she was in work had a few steriod injections which seemed to do the trick, in an ideal world I would of turned her away for a while but that wasnt really an option. Since the steriod Ive also had some Xrays and turns out a problem with her pedal bone wasnt helping stifle so have her in some wedges behind.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My youngster had a 'sticky stifle' I use Epilites Forte as a joint supplement, as she was in work had a few steriod injections which seemed to do the trick, in an ideal world I would of turned her away for a while but that wasnt really an option. Since the steriod Ive also had some Xrays and turns out a problem with her pedal bone wasnt helping stifle so have her in some wedges behind.

I'm not sure we are all talking about the same thing here. Turning away a horse which is already mature and in work is not normally a good way to treat locking stifles, which usually need consistent work. Also, I don't think steroid injections are a treatment for locking stifles, upward luxation of the patella. The disease is caused by a ligament which is too long, not by inflammation.

Olly's crew

Visit site
we have a horse with a locking stifle and were advised regular exercise to build up the muscle around the stifle is the way forward. He hardly shows any symptoms now with this approach. However we do give codlivine joint, not sure how much it helps though

ellie_e

Visit site
A locking stifle is different to a 'sticky' stifle and OP said horse was 4.5yrs. A few weeks/months off may help the body finishing growing and might find the 'stick' improves. I agree that a locking stifle needs consistent work. I was just advising OP of my mares treatment as she was 5 when it happend and wish I had xrayed her feet sooner.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
My lad had two sticky stifles , one worst then the other. It really showed up as he was growing. I did turn away during growth periods and it did no harm. Once he was older, consistent work has worked wonders and although they are there they cause him no problems. My vet suggested poles and other work to get him to use himself correctly and build the muscle. If he isn't worked for a period of time you see the increased stickiness, esp on his poor side. In consistent work you would not really notice if you didn't know.