Supplements for dust allergies

magichorse

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a feed supplement to help horses with dust allergies/ stable cough? I have addressed bedding/ feed/ environment but wondered if there was a feed supplement that could help, that has worked for others.

Thank you :)

TheMule

Visit site
You really don't want to be feeding immune boosting stuff for allergies, as an allergy is the immune system essentially working against the body in an over-reaction to harmless allergens.

It really is an envirnoment issue- can the horse live out?

magichorse

Visit site
You really don't want to be feeding immune boosting stuff for allergies, as an allergy is the immune system essentially working against the body in an over-reaction to harmless allergens.

He is out as much as possible (6am-8pm) We have thoroughly cleaned the stable with a power washer, bedding all replaced with Nedz bedz pro for horses with allergies, moved onto haylage and an extra doorway opened at the back for more ventilation, so feel that we have done all I can think of environment wise (any other suggestions v welcome, though) Just want to do the best possible and help him as much as I can.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site

THANKYOU!! :D

My horse has is quite sensitive to dust and is also sensitive to pollens. A friend at the yard said she obviously had a poor immune system and i tried to explain to her that her immune system is working too well. She looked at me like i was speaking nonsense.........even though i have a health Sciences BSC hons...lol

Visit site
When Jeff was in training he was a chronic bleeder due to a dust allergy. He lived out, if he got haylege it was also soaked to make doubley sure there was no dust in it. He normally got the whole gallop to himself so he wasn't following other horses dust in summer, rainy days were fine he could work in the string on them. He was also put on the Respirator for an hour or so a day.

The Respirator basically blows steam into them so they have to inhale it. It flushes out and dust and crap in their airway system and they pee it out.

He never got any supplements due to being a racehorse.

Now he is at home with me, when he isn't broken! He is out 20/24 hours a day, gets soaked food and hay and has a very airy stable when he is in. So far he hasn't had problem.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had one that arrived with a cough did all the dust free management when stabled in the winter I gave him winergy ventilate ( I think that's what it was ) it kept him completely cough free apart from a couple when he came off the lorry after a longish journey it really did help.