Supplements for mare in foal?

sanchob

Visit site
I have a young mare who is about 8 weeks in foal to the lovely Franklin. We knew after about 10 days she had taken as she really changed temperament wise, she is so chilled out. I just wondered if anyone would advise putting her on any kind of supplements as she has started eating mud and manure and seems extremely tired. She is fed thunderbrooks chaff with simple systems total eclipse balancer, better 4 hooves supplement as she has rubbish feet, and has some salt added to her feed whilst it’s so hot. Any advice appreciated as this is our first foal 😊thank you

welshcobprincess

New User
Visit site
Topspec do a great stud feed balancer which is designed for broodmares. I always feed this to any mares I have in foal as its a complete feed and contains all the vitamins and minerals they need to promote healthy growth. You can also feed it once they've foaled as it helps development as well. - they also do a lite version for overweight ponies as well.

PS - I don't work for topspec i just really love their products, reasonably priced and super healthy! XD

Mule

Visit site
I wouldn't mess about with her vitamin and mineral levels without asking your vets opinion first.

BarneyTheChestnutOne

Visit site
We just fed baileys lo cal balancer to our good doer KWPN mare when she was in foal, up until 3 months before the foal was due. She then went onto the Baileys Stud balancer and we are just weaning her off it now, foal is 5 weeks old and they are both looking rather well/round. They just have ad lib hay and grass alongside the balancer and that is it.

sport horse

Visit site
Your mare should not need anything extra at this stage and probably not until after the foal is born and she is supplying milk. There is more harm done by over feeding and supplementing. However, depending where you are in the country there is a huge lack of grass and it may be she will need a general supplement in a little feed. Basically just give hay if you do not have grass.

fairyclare

Visit site
My mare is on Thunderbrooks daily essentials on Debbie's recommendations throughout and still is with her 3 month old colt at foot.

I would steer clear of any stud mixes or balancers, none compare to the natural feed you are currently using.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You could try a Rockies salt block in the field. But yes have a chat with your vet too. She's obviously looking for something.