Supplements to help with swelling following suspensory injury?

Dufus

Visit site
Hello,

My horse is recovering from a splint bone fracture and a damaged suspensory and outer suspensory branch. i have been using global herbs immuplus for the last 5 months post op but would liek to switch to something that is anti inflammatory to help with the swelling and to continue to help healing.

I looked at Global herbs tendon eze but as i have vet bills coming out of my ears i wanted something more economical so wondered whether good old tumeric would help? or i did look at no bute but don't really need a the pain relief action ( as wouldn't want her to do more on the leg than she's capable of if she can't feel it's still weak) or go sound but unsure if that also has pain relief properties?

Anyone have any recommendations for something that i could try?

Thanks

Snoozy

Visit site
So why are you switching from Global Herbs ImmuPlus? According to the label it "combines Indian Echinacea with a natural source of vitamins C and E" so it (in theory :rolleyes:) has anti-inflammatory effects.

Dufus

Visit site
So why are you switching from Global Herbs ImmuPlus? According to the label it "combines Indian Echinacea with a natural source of vitamins C and E" so it (in theory :rolleyes:) has anti-inflammatory effects.
Oh really? I didn't realise that, I thought it was more to help their immune system and give everything a boost following injury illness etc but never realised it was anti inflammatory also , thank you that's good to know 😊 however the leg is still swelling up and down so perhaps I could feed something along side it?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh really? I didn't realise that, I thought it was more to help their immune system and give everything a boost following injury illness etc but never realised it was anti inflammatory also , thank you that's good to know 😊 however the leg is still swelling up and down so perhaps I could feed something along side it?

This, more than anything, should fill you in on the general incompatibility of the guff written on the sides of supplements with actual reality and effectiveness. The very fact that you are feeding something that you haven't even properly read (luckily it doesn't even work).....

Talk to your vet if you are concerned.

Dufus

Visit site
This, more than anything, should fill you in on the general incompatibility of the guff written on the sides of supplements with actual reality and effectiveness. The very fact that you are feeding something that you haven't even properly read (luckily it doesn't even work).....

Talk to your vet if you are concerned.
There's no need to be like that! I have properly read it , there's no where on the tub that says it's anti inflammatory. If you haven't got anything helpful to say then don't bother saying anything at all. It was a general question for some advice and I've used the supplement to boost her immunity not as an anti inflammatory so no it hasn't worked as an anti inflammatory your right.

And my vet is aware of all of my concerns

Dufus

Visit site
Is she stabled for long periods?
She's stabled over night and out during the day which is the yard routine until around may time when they have 24 hour turnout over summer. Unfortunately the swelling doesn't always go down when she's out, she will be scanned again in around a month to see if there is any healing from the last scan and will be having a year off work to fully heal but if there was something I could use in the mean time to aid with healing and keep the swelling to a minimum then I would have been happy to try 😊

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ice that the magic thing that will help your horse most ice the leg all day every day if you can .
Twenty minutes iced forty minutes without all day for months .
I like using a bonner bandage most if you can get one they are well worth it

Dufus

Visit site
Ice that the magic thing that will help your horse most ice the leg all day every day if you can .
Twenty minutes iced forty minutes without all day for months .
I like using a bonner bandage most if you can get one they are well worth it
Thank you, I will give that a go , it's going to be a long road to it healing (hopefully fully) but anything I can do in the mean time to help her I'm willing to try 😊

Dufus

Visit site
You could try a magnetic boot (or similar). But I wouldn't discount a course of Bute to help with swelling.
Thank you,I had been looking at magnetic boots and magnetic therapy and the equi streemz look to have good reviews. I will have a word with the vet on Monday, I know they were reluctant to give her Bute as didn't want her to over do the leg but she's pretty placid anyway and is just wandering around the field calmly so maybe they would re think whether that could be beneficial

Dufus

Visit site
Do you mean EQU StreamZ? You'd be better trying snake oil!
StreamZ recently got spanked by the ASA:
https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/streamz-global-ltd-a17-378570.html
Yes that was them 🙈 oh no I had seen quite a few reviews and seemed positive however I've had confirmation that my insurance is covering a second claim I had pending and they may cover an arc machine to aid in her treatment so that would be great and if they do then I will keep everything crossed it works

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My Connie damaged a front suspensory this time last year and he didn't have any supplements to help heal it at all. He did however have a course of shockwave treatment in conjunction with three weeks at the spa where he had ice cold salt water therapy every day. This combined with box rest then controlled walking worked for him and he is sound and now back jumping.