supplements to support recovery from tendon injury

keeleyl

New User
Visit site
my horse has just been diagnosed with a check ligament injury and he has suggested cotra flx which he will give and will be covered on my insurance

kizzywiz

Visit site
PM me if you want more details, I work for a company who manufacture something specifically for this, a standard joint supplement will not necessarily contain enough "repairing" elements to do the job you require.

Doublethyme

Visit site
My mare is recovering from a ligament/tendon injury and I have her on Cortaflex (she's on that normally anyway) and also MSM. Weirdly (to me anyway), when my horse went for her 2nd scan after her box rest, my vet mentioned that she was on Cortaflex and MSM even though I hadn't told him......how does that work? - I forgot to ask him at the time how he could tell from the scans/x-rays...!

Also have used homeopathic remedies Rhus Tox; Rhut Grav, Arnica and Calc Flur.

Plus she's on Foot Relief herbal remedy from www.silverliningherbs.co.uk!

Yes I am throwing everything I can to aid recovery!! May be money wasted, but makes me feel better!!!

Am also using twice daily a Light Therapy boot which definitely seems to help with reducing swelling.

We'll see next week when my mare is back to the vets for her scan after 2 months box rest/3 months paddock rest, whether all my efforts have been in vain or not!

monstermunch

Visit site
The risk here is to throw a lot of money into supplements that might make you feel better but do absolutely nothing for your horse. Again you will come across a lot of claims that do this and that but you really have to be careful. Where soft tissue injuries are concerned there are no miracle cures although a lot of people may claim there product is.
The best backed compounds for soft tissue would be MSM. you may want to consider feeding alongside Glucosamine, because if there is soft tissue damage at a joint it is likely to have affected the joint in some way too. the other supplement to consider is Devils claw. thogh not scientifically backed it does seem to hold benefit for some horses, although doesn't work on others. Boswellia is another one that is a natural herb that may aid in soft tissue repair. I wouldn't buy millions of things, just find one good supplement that possibly contains devils claw, MSM, and amino acids and that is all you will need.
Hope this helps

L&M

Visit site
Thanks monstermunch! Feel the same way and am very wary of 'miracle' cures/money wasted. Had thought of MSM and have bought the Naf version to start today.
However can also relate to previous reply of throwing everything at them - at least if none of the treatments help and a diffcult decision has to be made you can feel you have done everthing possible.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
You need Equiform Nutrition's Equicell - It's fab stuff I used it when H was operated on for her annular ligaments - Give Equiform a call and they'll explain all about Nucleotides and how the product works
smile.gif

Kate x

cellie

Visit site
Had the same discussion with my vet last week his comment was that alot of the products are a waste of money.He recommends Newmarket joint supplement for the repair of tissues and joint maintenance.This one is veterinary approved as one of the purest glocosomine on the market.His colleage works at new market and is involved in the testing.I used it for mild tendon injury and although it wont help spavins(my horse has had surgery) it will help maintain healthy cartiledge in his other joints.I think we are bit vunerable when our horses are injured and open our wallets too quickly.