supraspinous ligament damage/experiences please

charlotte79

Visit site
hi people, after a few rocky months my mare had neck and back xrays and scans today and the results were that she has torn her supraspinous ligament. the vet thinks this is a very old injury which has been damaged again. he gave her steroid injections and she is being turned away for 4 weeks then is to be scanned again. he says she has an over 50% chance of full recovery. i would love to hear back from anyone with any experience in this area as i haven't found much information on the web. she is 8 yrs old. many thanks

loopylucifer

Visit site
I have one that had damage to supraspinious ligament and then my other has damaged the interspinious liganment.
The one with the supraspinious ligament damage also had arthritis of the facet joints which the vet thought was more lilkey to be the issue. It was a few years back but do seem to rememebr that i was told abnormalities to the supraspinious ligament wasnt uncommon and offten of no concern or little cocnern. in our case the arthritis was deffinatly the bigger issue unfortunatly she has been retired for unrelated back problems.
With both horses the one thing i was told was to keep them moving and working from the ground long reining lunging etc as it was to keep the muscle toen which helped with the support and they both had lots of physio.
The one with interspinous is currently returning back to work she was off ridden work for about 9 wks or so.
good luck

Whatanejit

Visit site
Achhh it is a pain.. literally.

My boy was diagnosed with this in Sept 11.. 9 months off, steroids etc, tried to get him back in word but no... he is still sore.

It can take a few years to heal.

Best of luck and healing vibes :)

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I posted about this a few years ago. Horse had supraspinous injury and spavin. Sadly after a year off, stem cell and various other things, he never came right and was pts.

I must add though that he could not be a field ornament as he was mental if not kept to a strict routine so I did what I thought best by pts.

racebuddy

Visit site
My Showjumper has this has
Course of shock wave therapy but to be honest dodnt think
That helped just made him
More sore started on intense Phsio and
Work on the peossa after being turned away
For short time, is now
Back fully fit and
Enjoying life
X

charlotte79

Visit site
hi bubbles my mare started to tense right up when i mounted her and would feel like she was going to explode, then getting really spooky, especially in traffic but i mean SPOOKY. After a few bad hacks i decided to miss the traffic and school her, this is when it really became apparent something was wrong, she was catching her inside hind when trotting and canter well it was either bolt with me or throw her head up and down with her ears flat back. Fingers crossed she comes right x

charlotte79

Visit site
thanks everyone else for your replies it seems like luck of the draw with regards to the healing. i will do everything i can to help the process just glad she doesn't need surgery!!