Supreme products defuse, follow up post...

Queenbee

Visit site
Well after our epic crash and burn with naff magic supplement and paste which did 'naff all' I've been looking into a number of different calmers and after a number of people said it really did work on theirs even when magic did nothing I purchased a syringe to try on him, it really did help immensely, he relaxed enough, he never once looked tucked up during the whole day, I could tie him up and grab a fag and a bottle of water without risking the sound of 'loose horse!' He still had speed and sparkle but the edge was definitely taken off (thank god)

A few things I noticed, it made him poo... A lot, he never pooed like that even when he was stressy, this was cow pat slop, numerous times.

It gave him serious midnight munchies, he at all his hay, a fibre block, his dinner and half his straw bed.

He was very tired the next day, completely chillaxed, dingle dangle hanging out, one hind leg resting tucked behind the other, as if he'd done the hard work today (so he had today off)

Not that I'm bothered, I can deal with all the above, but I just wondered if other people had noticed this with defuse too?

Also, I'm a little bit ticked off with NAFF, I went to talk to them at badders, he argued that the magic was working, he asked how did Ben feel and I said "like he was about to explode but didn't" apparently in their book that means the calmer is working, I then pointed out that without their calmer and at a county show I could ride him, lunge him and show him in hand, none of which I could do the week before last year pumped up with Naff. He then admits to me that if it's not a confidence issue, ie if your horse is nervous or stressy for some other reason, or if he is just overexcited because it's fun, then magic may not be the one for you because they put 'confidence giving herbs' in it, which can tip them into overconfidence! Nice to know NAFF, but perhaps instead of putting 'magnesium based calmer' on the packet you should put, 'magnesium based calmer with confidence giving herbs in'.

Anyhow, it's an absolute thumbs up for Defuse from me, thanks to all that reccomended it! I'm going to get him a bottle of the stuff, and to anyone who may be looking for a calmer, I'd certainly reccomend it, it's been a fantastic help for Ben.

Visit site
Naff never worked for my lad so I may try the Defuser this weekend. Hopefully I will end up with a calmer horse for it. Gray just gets his knickers in a twist and gets very excited thinking he is racing again. Thanks for the update, I'm going to see if I can locate some Defuser :)

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Do you know what the active ingredient in defuse is, QB? I only ask as I have noticed that when I use a calmer, my boy seems to respond better to tryptophan ones rather than purely magnesium ones.

Queenbee

Visit site
Supreme Products DeFUSE EKW, most tack shops will probably have it as they do a popular range of show products, you can buy a syringe or a bottle, I got the syringe to try.

Kinnygirl, it's both Mag and Tryptophan. It's great, they say that it works straight away but reccommend giving it a couple of hrs early, so the tryptophan works from early on and the mag slowly seeps in, but bens the same... Doesn't respond to mag, but the tryptophan really helped. They reccomend something like 80-120ml for a horse and 60-90 for a pony, a syringe is 80ml, so I just gave him that, did the trick nicely! ;)

supagran

Visit site
We've used Defuse on a particularly stressy gelding. Works brilliantly until he pees (which smells different to normal) and then he's back to being a stress head!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm always a bit curious exactly how much magnesium there is them - for those of us that supplement with magox generally I wonder how it compares.

ester

Visit site
ah instant magic about 31g/kg and presuming you don't feed a kilo less than frank gets a day anyway ;)

Queenbee

Visit site
Ester, to be fair Magic did used to help my mare, I used to use it when I moved yards while she settled, but in all honesty, in those circumstance valerian worked best on her. I was actually very wary of using defuse as I'd tried magic and I thought it may well be a waste of money trying a mag calmer when the previous one didn't work, I only tried this because of other people's positive feedback when magic and similar other products hadn't worked. I'm so glad I did. I doubt that the magnesium in it does much to be fair as it's clearly not helped him in the past. but the L-T certainly helps him deal with shows and events. It may not work for everyone, but it's certainly my new 'go to' calmer :D

Queenbee

Visit site
We've used Defuse on a particularly stressy gelding. Works brilliantly until he pees (which smells different to normal) and then he's back to being a stress head!

Interesting SG... Luckily Ben doesn't pee at a show. Infact he is pretty good with general waste disposal, doesn't ever poo in a school either, which is why this struck me as very odd. I was gobsmacked by how much he ate that night, and he has a huge appetite anyway, interesting how it affects them.

ester

Visit site
I guess I'm just thinking along the lines of whether those horses that it does work on might just be better with increased mg in their diets anyway.

Queenbee

Visit site
I guess I'm just thinking along the lines of whether those horses that it does work on might just be better with increased mg in their diets anyway.

No, I totally agree with you on that. If I found that something like magic (for instance) worked well for Ben I'd be buying some mag ox instead. What I did find interesting was the feeds that L-Tryptophan was naturally occurring in, like soya and oats... Never knew that. All I'm grateful for is that the defuse works though, I can stop searching for something to help him at the shows now! :)