Suregrow, not so cheap

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I put my cob foal on suregrow as people said its the cheapest and one of the best for growing young stock but for a balancer you need to feed more than most balancers so does not work out cheap in the long run. Bag says feed 250g per 100g body weight so my lad needs 750g a day where as on top spec he would need 300g per day. Does anybody know how much a mug full of suregrow weighs out of interest? It may be cheaper per bag but have to feed a lot more so not so cost effective. I will keep him on it as he's starting to eat it and he's a fussy eater so not going to mess with his diet again.
How much do u guys feed? The correct amounts?
How much does a mug full weigh? Anybody know?

ribbons

Visit site
Firstly, weigh your mug of food yourself and be sure what it weighs rather than as others.

Secondly, be very careful when feeding youngsters.

Get it right now and you've set him up for life.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Firstly, weigh your mug of food yourself and be sure what it weighs rather than as others.

Secondly, be very careful when feeding youngsters.

Get it right now and you've set him up for life.

Best advice possible.

What is suregrow now, I never look at the price because I know it works and is by far the best for my cob type youngsters. I guess it is £14 ish a bag ?, Someone said they need a bag a fortnight to feed their foal so stopped using it due to the cost - that is approx. £1.00 a day, sounds good to me !

Goldenstar

Visit site
£1 a day seems good to me to , it's years since I had a foal to care for and mine where all near tb types but in my experiance I spent my whole time trying to slow down their growth and not do them to well , you did not have balancers in those days , at this time of year I really miss the whole breeding thing .

SpottyTB

Visit site
I feed my 11month warmblood foal (13.3) on a cup full (just under half a stubbs scoop) once a day.. the other end he gets a handful of chaff to keep him quiet whilst the other one is eating.

A bag lasts me 6 weeks roughly (for hugo) however just put the other youngster on it and now a bag lasts around 3-4 weeks (other youngster - 14.1, 20 months - has only a cup a day due to other feeds being fed).

Along side this Hugo gets 2-3 slices of hay and minimal grass (as lacking massively).

:) It really does work, i've saved a fortune this year!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
It just seems to me that for a balancer you need to fed more than most balancers, so not cost effective. £1 a day is quite expensive when say topspec at 300g a day would last me 66 days and at £25 works out tonns cheaper.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It just seems to me that for a balancer you need to fed more than most balancers, so not cost effective. £1 a day is quite expensive when say topspec at 300g a day would last me 66 days and at £25 works out tonns cheaper.

You are getting a good deal at £25. The cheapest top spec stud balancer I have seen is £30 for 20kg.

I prefer the suregrow because nothing needs to be added to it other than adlib hay.

Fintan

Visit site
The suregrow is not a balancer. If you put this in relation to the international science in feeding and requirement specially in breeding it will not fulfill a fraction.

Sad but a fact.

Horlicks

Visit site
Suregrow - went to buy some today £15.50 - gob smacked has gone up from £13.40 in 6 months!!!

Any suggestions of what to feed my nearly two year old gelding cob/trakehner/welsh who has ad lib hay and suregrow plus chaff twice a day currently (he lives out 24/7) gratefully received!!!

Skyebald

Visit site
I've been paying over £15 since I started using it about 7 months ago .

My youngster looks fab on it and I have no plans to change :)

Out of curiosity at what age do most stop feeding it ?