Surely not another dissertation survey? Yes, yes it is!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Did you ask TFC, there was a ruling about this , but I think it was dropped.
I don t know the answer to Q1, or Q2, did you test this out?
P.s Not sure shooting is legal in an urban situation!

Last edited:

Kadastorm

Visit site
A quick google search of your post code should bring up your borough and ward, for instance London borough and ward etc and current political party for your ward. I did explain that this to my lecturer but she thought it would be ok, not sure many people realise that they are in a ward within a borough.

Also, Im not asking if you would shoot in an urban area but asking if you feel its an effective method.

Will PM TFC, I did a questionnaire last year on here without asking and it wasn't a problem, didn't realise there was a rule!

Foxy O

Visit site
For questions 5 & 6 even though I had filled in the 'other' box it said I had to tick one of the other things and a couple of others said I had to complete so I had to tick other and put n/a in the box

JoJo_

Visit site
Sorry no, it won't let me change the title at the moment. It is only for England.

Thought so. I'm in very rural area and see the odd fox but definitely no issues with them getting into the bins. Just annoying when my dogs decide to roll in fox muck and come in stinking!

Kadastorm

Visit site
**UPDATE**Ok, cant edit my original post. This is for England only, finally been able to change my title.
A quick google search of your postcode should throw up your borough and ward and the political party for your ward.
Im going to email my tutor to say the difficulties that people are having and it may need to be changed but your responses will help for now.
Many thanks

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Thought so. I'm in very rural area and see the odd fox but definitely no issues with them getting into the bins. Just annoying when my dogs decide to roll in fox muck and come in stinking!
Only one solution, keep dogs on a short leash, OR would you be willing to shoot them?

Kadastorm

Visit site

haha yep! I have that problem too. I rarely see a fox, although last year a youngster was in my garden in the middle of the day and came right up to the window I was standing at. it wasn't bothered by me at all!

Kadastorm

Visit site
I'm in Wales so you will have to discount mine then :)

its ok, im going to bring this up with my lecturer, I may change it back to the UK and just put another option for political party.

its so hard because my manager is part time and not always available, she was a last minute stand in as my other tutor left suddenly. Thing is, I have to have a draught of my dissertation in about 8 weeks so I need to get data collecting.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
haha yep! I have that problem too. I rarely see a fox, although last year a youngster was in my garden in the middle of the day and came right up to the window I was standing at. it wasn't bothered by me at all!
Is the question, "were you bothered by a fox".
The main problems I have with these [siily] surveys is that it is too easy to set up a survey, but exactly what is it you want to know???????????????
In this case, the first thing is "In England" ... a small country in Western Europe"

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
its ok, im going to bring this up with my lecturer, I may change it back to the UK and just put another option for political party.

its so hard because my manager is part time and not always available, she was a last minute stand in as my other tutor left suddenly. Thing is, I have to have a draught of my dissertation in about 8 weeks so I need to get data collecting.
draft or draught?
Sorry, but no excuses please, what is the purpose of the survey, ask on here and we will suggest the questions!
Are you trying to suggest that party in power is soley dependant on the voters views on fox control or that there is some relationship?
We probably know that fluffy bunnies with no understanding of "tooth and claw" are happy to see urban foxes scavenging litter in London. Is it a good idea?

Last edited:

JoJo_

Visit site
Only one solution, keep dogs on a short leash, OR would you be willing to shoot them?

Gosh no the foxes keep the rabbit population down in the area. Would much rather bath the dogs than end up inundated with rabbits. Beauty of living in an rural area is not having to walk dogs on the lead all the time.

Kadastorm

Visit site
draft or draught?
Sorry, but no excuses please, what is the purpose of the survey, ask on here and we will suggest the questions!
Are you trying to suggest that party in power is soley dependant on the voters views on fox control or that there is some relationship?

Sorry my auto correct offends you. No offence but I'm not going to ask you guys to give me questions. These discussions we have with our tutors and I take the advice of them. All I'm asking is for people to give me their answers. This is the whole point of the investigation and yes I am investigating a link between political parties and fox control. But that's a discussion for my literature review.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
OK, well I won't be answering, but not only because I don't live in a ward.
If you think that people vote for one party on the basis of their attitude to foxes, well I have to advise you that this is not likely.
If you are in further education, you should learn how to spell :) I don't think this should offend you to be honest, to blame a computer for any deficiency is not acceptable.
If you are trying to make any survey "scientific" it needs to be balanced and you should expect it to be subject to rigour .... ask your tutor about this, as it is relevant.

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
We are asked to fill in these surveys all the time, but never hear any more, is there a Black hole or a Bermuda triangle where they all end up?
Answers on a postcard, ty.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry my auto correct offends you. No offence but I'm not going to ask you guys to give me questions. These discussions we have with our tutors and I take the advice of them. All I'm asking is for people to give me their answers. This is the whole point of the investigation and yes I am investigating a link between political parties and fox control. But that's a discussion for my literature review.

Did your tutor suggest the wording for Q1? It seems very strange wording to me, do you want to know about the make-up of the local council for the whole area, the councillors for the particular ward or the MP?

forelegs

Visit site
We are asked to fill in these surveys all the time, but never hear any more, is there a Black hole or a Bermuda triangle where they all end up?
Answers on a postcard, ty.

I put a questionnaire on here a couple of months ago for dissertation research. The answers were hugely helpful and I'm in the process of writing it currently (the deadline is March). When it has been marked and released to me I am happy to send a copy to anyone interested in the results (mine was the dissertation about the formation and structure of the equestrian community).

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I put a questionnaire on here a couple of months ago for dissertation research. The answers were hugely helpful and I'm in the process of writing it currently (the deadline is March).
I have no problem with what /I would call "open ended" questions, what I have issue with is those which are unscientific, and those which ask questions which skew the results.
eg,
" If you see people in red hunting jackets and riding horses, are they likely to vote labour? YES/NO."
It is a worry that someone who has had a lot of education [maybe 20 years] can't manage the simplest thing, I am not getting at OP. I am getting at her/his education.

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I try and do these surveys, having two sons currently at uni.

I can't get beyond q1. To the best of my knowledge, I do not live in a 'borough' but I do know which ward I live in, and in which unitary local authority.

Can you add a direct link to q1 in which respondents can type in their post code and get the required info direct, rather than faffing around via google, which I have just done.

I will proceed with the survey if you confirm that recording my 'unitary local authority' instead of a 'borough' will be acceptable.

Auslander

Visit site
I have no problem with what /I would call "open ended" questions, what I have issue with is those which are unscientific, and those which ask questions which skew the results.
eg,
" If you see people in red hunting jackets and riding horses, are they likely to vote labour? YES/NO."
It is a worry that someone who has had a lot of education [maybe 20 years] can't manage the simplest thing, I am not getting at OP. I am getting at her/his education.

People in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones. Your punctuation is beyond awful, and your syntax leaves a lot to be desired.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Bonkers2 - I am sorry that you do not understand it but this is what I have been advised to do and yes my tutor has gone over these and has confirmed tonight that the questionnaire is ok. Also, open ended questions leave a lot to debate and does not provide numbers for proper statistical analysis. I can discuss all the questionnaires failings in my discussion, this is what a dissertation is about, being critically evaluative. I do not aim to skew the results. Just like forelegs has said, when it is all done I can send it to you but for now, if you do not wish to take part then don't. If you do, then thank you for your time.

PS thank you to everyone that has taken the time to take the survey, you are really helping me and I am grateful.

Last edited:

Kadastorm

Visit site
OK, well I won't be answering, but not only because I don't live in a ward.
If you think that people vote for one party on the basis of their attitude to foxes, well I have to advise you that this is not likely.
If you are in further education, you should learn how to spell :) I don't think this should offend you to be honest, to blame a computer for any deficiency is not acceptable.
If you are trying to make any survey "scientific" it needs to be balanced and you should expect it to be subject to rigour .... ask your tutor about this, as it is relevant.

The aim of my study is not to find that people vote for a political party due to their attitude to foxes. You are making an assumption. As said before, my tutor has gone over this. I don't find you offensive, I find it laughable that you are trying to pick on my spelling, I am not a dictionary. And no, I am not in further education, I am in higher education gaining pretty good results, spelling is not an issue although of course, I do make mistakes.

orionstar

Visit site
I almost didn't finish it, as you have questions where an answer could be no, then the next question which has no relevance because of my first answer is compulsory.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
People in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones. Your punctuation is beyond awful, and your syntax leaves a lot to be desired.

As does the vocabulary used. *Applauds*

OP, you need to consider Q16 which requires yes, no or other answer even if the answer to Q15 Do you have animals in your garden was no.

case895

Visit site
I never see foxes when I have the rifle or shotgun out. If I do, they and the pigeons, magpies, rabbits, etc. keep out of sight.