surely there are enough foals!

vieshot

Visit site
It's madness. I have had a rising 3yo gelding for sale for about a month now. Well handled, loads, great with farrier, registered with his breed society with some impressive bloodlines as far as bloodlines for the breed go etc. his asking price. £280. No interest at all.

We don't need anymore foals.

competitiondiva

Visit site
Just had this pop up on my news feed on fb http://fbui.publishtofanpage.com/gsdnd/?m=99467 am I misunderstanding this or is it 2 people win frozen semen for their mare to put it in foal? Nothing for the mare to be of a certain quality or anything, just another foal. Surely this can't be allowed!?

I can't click on the link, but read on a forum last night a 'raffle' including a free covering of a stallion. I automatically thought the same exact thing..... :O

hnmisty

Visit site
I can't see the page, but don't you know that foals are reeeeeeally cute, so everyone who can breed from their horses should because foals really are reeeeeeally cute.

*wanders off to bang head against brick wall*

stormox

Visit site
If someone is thinking of putting their mare in foal, they'll do it anyway- regardless of whether they win the semen in a raffle of not! The trouble with finding quality proven competition mares is by the time they have 'proven' themselves- dressage, jumping whatever.... they are almost too old to have a first foal, and if that foal turns out to be a brilliant 6yr old they are definitely too old to have any more.
I certainly don't believe in random breeding of herds of probably inbred horses all living together. Maybe mandatory castration of all substandard colts would be a better way to go?