Surrey types (Dorking / Leatherhead / Bookham / Effingham)

arizonahoney

Visit site
How bad is it? Just got back from abroad and would like to and check up on beastie, but I hear that it's all a bit chaotic unless you have a landrover / 4WD...

Shay

Visit site
Don't try it unless you have to. We're mobile with a Landy - but pretty much nothing else is moving. the main roads are clear - but anything else is an accident waiting to happen.

Drummer

Visit site
I am in Ripley and not venturing out in my little C1 so will be walking, the main roads are not meant to be too bad but its just the little ones inbetween to get on to them that my car wont cope with.

ridersince2002

Visit site
In westcott (just outside of dorking) the untouched snow is nearly a foot high, drifts are about 2ft, bigger in places. Dad doesnt have a 4x4 so hasnt even tried to get out.
Its quite bad, our school has been closed since tuesday and will still be closed tomorrow. Cars have just been left at the side of the main road and the police said not to travel unless aboslutely necessary, and the only cars ive seen moving sucessfully are range rovers or other big 4x4s.
Hope this helps :)

Shay

Visit site
I very much doubt they will hunt this weeked. We're OK with the Landy but no way would I link up a trailer and take something I loved out there. Its not whether you are OK in the snow necessarily - its the other guy who isn't OK and rams into you!

Still - rain is forecast for saturday and this may all melt away!

BigRed

Visit site
my sister lives in fetcham she says it is very bad there. my friend took 8 hours to get hom from pirbright to beare green, it was leatherhead that was causing the problem. Main roads are ok, its the country side roads that are not.

WetandMuddy

Visit site
I live in Leatherhead - horse in Bookham.

Tuesday night was hell - took me 2 hours 35 minutes to get from yard to home (normally a 10 minute journey).

Today, the main roads are mushy but not too bad if you have a 4x4. Side roads are horrendous. Like skating rinks.

Luci07

Visit site
Live in Brockham, horses live on top of Ranmore common. Main roads are doable but am only going upto the yard as I have a proper 4 x 4 and know I can get up and down. Literally just walked back in and we have nearly 2 foot on the hill as I walked my dogs out in the back fields (OK tried to!). It is still snowing and the roads were quite slushy so I suspect it will be lethal once the sun actually goes down.

One of my friends who lives in Shere got very stuck trying to get home in her little Ford Ka on Tuesday so have not ventured out since - so agree with the other poster, Westcott and Wotton hills are pretty bad.

I am becoming the local milkwoman though! and my nice car is firmly sat on my driveway as would not have a chance in hell of even getting out of my road let alone the village!

Welcome Back!

Archangel

Visit site
I am in Peaslake and have measured 11 inches with drifts deeper.
I have been chugging about the lanes in my RAV4 inc up over the Downs, you will struggle in a car I think as the snow is so deep.

My 13.3 was standing in snow almost up to his elbows (mind you he had gone where I told him not to!) and I had to shovel the snow off my windscreen it was that deep and then lever the doors open!

I hope you didn't fly in from somewhere hot.

Luci07

Visit site
Good try!! The London liveries who come down at the weekend actually own 4x4's!!! was a source of discord between one and her OH

Till she drove down in the floods and went the back way over Ranmore! and the one who decided to buy a 1 series and not a Jeep is now very bitterly regretting it..

Luci07

Visit site
One of our grooms lives in Kingston and did get down in her little car but has chosen to stay at a friends in Dorking tonight!

SuperNoodles

Visit site
I'm in Ashtead and it's pretty bad here, my Daughter's school was pretty much the only one in the area open today and we had to walk/sledge it because we couldn't get the car out of our road. It took me 6 hours to get from Reigate on Tuesday, I left work at 2pm and got in at 8pm. The traffic around Leatherhead was awful. The main roads seem much better this afternoon (we managed to get out of our cul de sac to go and see my parents who are in Westhumble), but the side roads are really not great.