Survey for masters dissertation

Sophietom23

New User
Visit site
This survey is the equine positive and negative activation scale to asses horses behavioural traits to see the likelyhood of a horses response to positive and negative influence in there environment or from people, it is also anonymous, it would be very much appreciated if you could fill this in if you own a horse or know a horse well and only takes a few minutes, Thank You.
https://ntusurvey.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/equine-positive-and-negative-activation-scale

Sophietom23

New User
Visit site
Is this a student survey? I haven't yet clicked on the link to find out, but I prefer to know the purposes of a survey before deciding whether to participate.

Btw, you might like to spell check your opening post :).

Yes it's a student survey for my masters dissertation, thanks

skint1

Visit site
I did fill it in but it took me directly to page 2, so don't know what information you're missing but you might want to check that out

mustardsmum

Visit site
Done. Can you post the results of your dissertation - not the whole thing obviously, just a little summary of what you found out? I always fill out these surveys and rarely get to see the results which can be a bit infuriating as its nice to see what came of the research. Took part in an interesting eight week ridden survey looking at how riders perform under stress doing different activities (so one week we jumped, one week we did poles, one week we hacked) for a masters study a few years ago and we never found out what the results were.

Ratface

Visit site
I'm not going to fill this in. My reasons are as follows:
1. Your spelling is poor. A wether is a male sheep, not part of a sentence querying something.
2. Your punctuation is poor. The word horses indicates more than one horse. Alternatively, as in horse's, something belonging to or related, to one horse.
As in: a) the horses were tired, so we stopped so that they could rest.
b) the horse's bridle didn't fit, so I adjusted it.
I'd be interested to know the University you attend.
When I wrote my MSc thesis, this precis would never have got past my supervisor's first glance.

EllenJay

Visit site
I wont be completing this survey either. It is very unclear how answering these questions will give any context around positive/negative influence. For instance, my horse will react in one way if I do X and react differently if I do Y. The X and Y could be as simple as if I am holding a schooling whip or not (not using it)

the thesis needs to be a lot more thought out.

Also, can I add, that we regularly get requests to “help out” from people who have no intention of adding to the community. Always new posters, and we never hear back on the results. Bit of a one way street? I don’t mind helping, but it would be great if occasionally someone reported back on their thesis, even if just to say they passed.

View

Visit site
Normally such a survey would contain information such as which institution. Has your supervisor seen your survey?

Also, I do understand that not everyone has a perfect grasp of grammar and spelling, but if you do find this difficult, please always get someone to proof read for you. It makes assessors far more kindly disposed to you if they can understand what you are saying on first reading.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have done the survey, but don't think the results will yield much as the questions are so wide ranging. Your horse is naughty for example, what is naughty? Is fresh naughty? Is lazy naughty?

I can think of several horses where a rider would score the same horse at different ends of the scale, depending on their confidence/experience.

Also, it is unusual, unnecessary and confusing to have capital letters in the middle of a sentence for a thank you. I don't usually pick up on spelling and punctuation, as mine is far from perfect, but this is for a Masters so I would presume you would proof read (or ask someone else to if you have specific difficulties).

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Done but I'm not sure it's hugely helpful. I can't see how you'll get useful data from these questions, particularly not good enough for an MSc.

I predict most of the answers you get will be 'neither agree nor disagree'

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There is a strong clue as to which university this survey purports to originate from in the link provided, but none of the usual permissions/explanations/disclaimers that accompany most officially sanctioned student surveys that turn up on HHO.

Has this survey been authorised by your supervisor as ready to go out to the general public?

spacefaer

Visit site
@Sophietom23
You may think we're being old fashioned or overly picky when we mention spelling and punctuation, but it indicates a lack of attention to detail that doesn't bode well for your future study. Several of us have at least post grad qualifications so we do know what's required.

If you struggle with basic written communication, it's not looking promising for your further academic study.

ETA I've just had a look at the first couple of pages of the survey - it's very painful to read. I suggest you take it down, correct the appalling spelling and grammar and re-present it. I'm concerned that it's been passed by your supervisor (if indeed it has)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Sorry but I disagree with the word "naughty" when related to horses: horses are NOT "naughty" - there is always a reason for the exhibited behaviour (which is often perceived by novices as "being naughty") - and that is usually pain, and I really struggled how to answer that question accurately because of the phrasing of it.

stangs

Visit site
There is a strong clue as to which university this survey purports to originate from in the link provided, but none of the usual permissions/explanations/disclaimers that accompany most officially sanctioned student surveys that turn up on HHO.

Has this survey been authorised by your supervisor as ready to go out to the general public?
I’m wondering whether it’s a preliminary survey that’s been sent out so it can get refined for when the actual data collection takes place.