Survey on livery yard restrictions during the UK lockdown

EdRyder

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone

Long term lurker, new(ish) poster :)

With the UK lockdown about to be extended, I thought it would be interesting to get a wider picture of the level of restrictions (if any) livery yards are placing in terms of access and riding. To that end, I've created a short survey.
The survey is anonymous (you only need to say what region of the UK you are in), and is aimed at anyone who keeps their horse at a yard. Feel free to share the link, as the more responses we get the better (I have over 300 responses so far from FB groups). I'll then collate the data and post the results at a later date.

Link to survey here :

Bernster

Visit site
Thanks. I’m interested to know this too. Am pondering if my full livery yard is unusual in being on complete lock down to owners. I know others in the area are on a rota or allow grooming time but not riding. I do understand why mine is locked down and I’d feel bad about driving to visit but, still, it makes me sad and I pine for a little less restriction.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
This could be a useful survey but I found it wasn’t designed in a way I could accurately fill it in.

I started to fill it in but the first question none of the premises really applied. I keep mine on a small yard on farm estate premises but no one lives on site and it’s certainly has nothing in common with a competition centre nor is a riding school.

The questions on the last page also only work if your access is restricted and they’re not applicable in my case and there is no option for that.

be positive

Visit site
I have done it but it is aimed at owners not YO's, I have just a very few liveries so have used one that I know well to answer the questions, not much has changed for them other than a time slot, which is only so I can ensure they are not around when I have anything else going on and they are being asked to come only to exercise and do extras then, they are expected to follow guidelines and have enough respect and common sense to stick to them.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
The questions didn't really reflect current life on our yard. It's large yard, with 60 horses and cattle. Probably 70% are either competition/ full/part livery. The horses are in at night because the fields were decimated over the endlessly wet winter.
We have free access to the yard and the only rules officially in place, have been to restrict hacking to two short routes and to ride solo or in pairs. There are disinfection sprays and foot dips everywhere. The smoking area has been shut to prevent groups gathering and staying at the yard for an unnecessarily long time.
Everyone has self regulated their behaviour, the jumps have been abandoned, no one has had trainers coming in and routine checks by saddlers and other practitioners haven't happened. People are avoiding using the same spaces such as the feed room and hay barn, waiting politely outside until the space is empty.
Our YO runs a tight ship and is highly respected and in the absence of vets, she's a reassuring presence. She knows as much as they do.

tiahatti

Visit site
I am on retirement grass livery so couldn't fill the form in accurately. I will be interested in seeing the results.

Shay

Visit site
It will be interesting to see - as time goes on - how many yards are actually not restricted or have very minimal restrictions in place. A couple of the questions were only relevant if access is restricted with no option to say that little / nothing has in fact changed.

Unless it is an RS there is no legal requirement to restrict access. (Unless I suppose it is also the YO's home - I can sort of see the point there...) Clearly the yard should not be place to solciaize or visit without a professional reason to do so. Come, see to your horses, go. But outside that - I wonder if in fact the number of yards locked down is less than thought. People post on SM when thier yard is locked down - less so when it isn't!

Looking forward to the results OP!

TPO

Visit site
I keep my horse in my parent's property along with mum's two horses. Technically I'm the only livery.

I answered as best as I could but struggled with the question about yard restrictions.

The YO (mum ?) hasn't put any restrictions in place, so I selected no restrictions, but it's common sense at this time not to have anyone out that isn't required from a welfare point of view e.g. vets and hoofcare.

Michen

Visit site
I actually think it's awful the way some yards have been totally locked down with people banned from seeing their horses. I do understand if yard owner is vulnerable themselves perhaps, but if not, I think it's unnecessary. There are other things that can be put in place to mitigate the risk without banning people like that.

Thankfully our YO (about 20 horses) is completely practical and sensible.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I actually think it's awful the way some yards have been totally locked down with people banned from seeing their horses. I do understand if yard owner is vulnerable themselves perhaps, but if not, I think it's unnecessary. There are other things that can be put in place to mitigate the risk without banning people like that.

I agree, I feel very lucky that my YO (who is vulnerable) acted in a pragmatic way knowing it was never going to be just a three week window, so had to think what will work for a longer period of time. Though we are DIY so not the same I guess as a full livery yard, we have limited the number of people on site at one time (2 max, and obviously social distance from each other though I'm normally there alone anyway), wash down shared surfaces (gates, locks, etc), don't share tools, etc. It's relatively easy for us a small yard, but I think even bigger yards could keep people safe without completely closing for the majority.

SpringArising

Visit site

My old yard has banned people from going and is making everyone who was on DIY pay for full livery rates. Apparently this is for 'everyone's benefit'. :rolleyes:

Michen

Visit site
My old yard has banned people from going and is making everyone who was on DIY pay for full livery rates. Apparently this is for 'everyone's benefit'. :rolleyes:

Absolutely appalling. And honestly how long are yards planning on banning people? This will go on to some degree for months and months. I think it’s completely narrow minded for any YO to lockdown the yard unless they have a truly good reason to do so for their own health.

Kat

Visit site
I agree that many yards have over reacted. There have been many misunderstandings about the lockdown rules and the guidance from the BHS and BEF hasn't been very helpful or clear.

My YO sought advice from NFU, we are on a working farm and are a mixed DIY and Part Livery yard. We have had changes due to social distancing but are all allowed to visit our horses.

We have a rota to ensure there aren't too many people on the premises at once so social distancing can be observed. Our kitchen/break room is closed to all but staff. We are asked to do our jobs and go, no hanging around and no guests.

Professionals who are still working are allowed on the yard but most instructors have cancelled so just vets and farriers.

We are allowed to make our own decisions re riding both in the school and hacking but must follow social distancing so should only ride with members of our household.

I think my YO's actions are spot on. She's reducing the risks to her customers and staff while still allowing us to continue to care for our animals within the law.

Anna Clara

Visit site
I am so so grateful that we are still allowed up to our part livery yard. I was so scared when the measures were announced and yards started closing. I'd understand for others if we knew it would be just three weeks with a definite end date but I couldn't be paying hundreds of pounds a month for a best friend with no idea when I would be allowed to go and even groom him/her!
Also, surely any DIY yards forcing people to pay for full livery would come under profiteering from a crisis?

Kat

Visit site
Absolutely appalling. And honestly how long are yards planning on banning people? This will go on to some degree for months and months. I think it’s completely narrow minded for any YO to lockdown the yard unless they have a truly good reason to do so for their own health.
I think a lot of businesses (not just horse related) reacted rather hastily and haven't thought through how they will cope long term.

I am hearing about quite a few businesses reopening and people returning to work with social distancing because businesses had closed mistakenly believing that only key workers could work.

Caol Ila

Visit site
We are still allowed to take care of our horses and ride, if we want, and of course, follow social distancing rules. The yard doesn't have the space to turn everyone away, and they have a collection of special needs horses (including mine) who could not be turned away anyway. I'm frustrated that we can't hack off the property, because we have to use public roads and apparently the BHS has advised against that, but keep telling myself to be happy that I can see her and ride at all. Had I still been at my old yard, I wouldn't. He's banned all liveries completely. Ugh.

I wonder if the yards who've banned owners have thought through an exit strategy. Are they going to ban owners for months? Until there's a vaccine? The virus and its risks will be around for a while.

planete

Visit site
I am very lucky with our set-up. Each owner has her own field, stables and storage area with no common spaces or stabling under one roof which makes social distancing very easy. The yard owner is sensible and vets and farriers are coming as needed following their governing bodies' guidelines. We have quite a few vulnerable owners with asthma, copd and over 70s and we are all being careful using our own washing or disinfecting products.

Bernster

Visit site
I think I am in the minority on total lock down then. It was ok for 3 weeks but I am wondering if I should broach it with YOs to see if this can be relaxed. Problem is that I live 50 mins away so I know I shouldn’t really be driving that distance. But it’s hard.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Agree with PPs who have said yards banning all liveries completely was very short sighted - surely they are going to have to back track on this fairly soon?

Very lucky I'm in a small yard - only 2 liveries visiting at present so is easy to keep 2m apart.

Disgraceful that full livery is being charged instead of original rates too ?

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Our yard is lockdown to an extent. All horses have been turned out 24/7. We are allowed up once a day at set times to check on them. No riding is allowed and although it's not been explicitly forbidden I don't think lunging in the school would be allowed either as strictly "no hanging around the yard".
I'm VERY concerned about my two natives who are pilling on the pounds. Now that lockdown has been extended for 3 weeks I'm really worrying about not being able to exercise them.
I think if I were to approach my YO about this I would be told "NO" because if I was allowed to ride she would need to allow others to do so to which would mean the yard would be far too "busy".
Honestly considering moving them elsewhere but livery yards are very few and far between here so feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place ?

Winters100

Visit site
I think if I were to approach my YO about this I would be told "NO" because if I was allowed to ride she would need to allow others to do so to which would mean the yard would be far too "busy".
?

Would others on your yard not understand that if you are struggling with weight issues for the horses then it is more essential for you to ride / lunge etc than it is for them? Maybe if you have time slots you could ask someone who has uncomplicated horses to give up their slot so that you have time to ride, and in return if they have some small tasks to take care of you could do them. This is how it is working on our yard, no restrictions from YO, but those of us who can are staying away to leave the yard free for staff and the couple of owners who have genuine welfare issues. This seems to work quite well, and despite a bad start on the first weekend when too many people went I understand that the yard is not almost empty.

EllenJay

Visit site
I couldn't answer most of these questions. My yard hasn't banned anything - they respect that as owners we are adults and will make sensible decisions for ourselves - which,to be honest, we all are doing.
So no bans on jumping, but people who jump on a regular basis are only doing schooling rounds, others are doing polework. People are hacking, but where you would normally canter/race are doing walk/trot.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading your results (and I took the survey).

I wonder how some of that data will look in a couple more weeks. Perhaps worth getting a wee follow-up survey out there (maybe in about two weeks, depending on what government does with restrictions) and tracking people's attitudes over time? From reading this forum and talking to friends/fellow liveries, it seems as if lockdown fatigue is setting in and horse owners who's access/activities have been restricted are beginning to look at the long game and wonder if the measures are sustainable, especially in cases where people can't see their horses at all.

Bernster

Visit site
I will try and read again as the page kept crashing but I’m very interested. I’m one of those that C I mentions above. Tough at first to be on lock down. Then I got reconciled to it. Now I’m struggling to see the end game with this extended lock down and worried it will go on for months.

fusspot

Visit site
I haven’t completed the survey as a small,private yard owner.I haven’t stopped my 4 clients coming up.Luckily we are a large,spaced out yard and am thankful that I have sensible clients.I have 2 of my own plus 2 Part Liveries and 2 Assisted DIY’s.I do all feeding,haying,turnout and bring in anyway but also now making up all haynets and feeds so only me touching feed bowls etc.We all have own equipment and I do all rugs. I wouldn’t dream of charging my clients extra for doing the extra jobs as it’s more for my own well-being.

They all spread out over the day due to different work/parenting comittments and at weekends I work out a rota,taking into account who is working etc so that we are on the yard by ourselves.They all have spray to disinfect where they have touched and at night we disinfect everywhere once the yard is finished.

I worked on the principle that the owners need there “Horse” time and get just over an hour each.None of them are riding but gives plenty of time to lunge/loose/groom and muck out if need be.
They are all very sensible and if don’t feel great,they don’t come up.

I actually think that even when restrictions are lifted,by doing it this way,it will probably stick for a while whereas yards that have enforced a complete lockdown-especially if for longer than the initial 3 weeks-will end up with more of a problem as owners will all flock back at the same time, and if not been for quite a few weeks,will be there for more than an hour at a time.