Suspected Strangles

Deano645

Visit site
Hello

Help & advice needed. We have a pony with possible strangles, basically a week and a half ago pony became unwell, off food and high temp. Had the vet out who suspected an infection, glands were up a bit but no snot or cough. After finished course of antibiotics temp went back up and off food again, then a few days ago huge abscess appeared under the throat and ruptured. Vet called out immediately as of course we suspected Strangles. He took blood, nasal swab, and sample from the fluid coming from the abscess. Through the rest of the week lots of thick yellow very smelly gunk has come out of the abscess but pony is so much better in herself and temp normal. She is grazed separately from others as she is prone to weight gain, doesn't share a water trough or any other equipment, there are 4 other horses at the yard and all are still ok and well. We are being very careful and treating it as though she does have strangles so only I am handling her, wearing protective clothing etc and using lots of disinfectant! The vet has told me he thinks it isn't strangles as we still have no snot or cough, even though we have this big abscess. Anyway, yesterday he phoned to say the blood test was negative, and hopefully this means she is clear of strangles. On monday we will get the results from the swabs, he said the blood test although negative does show she has antibodies so has been exposed to strangles in the past and we need to do another test in a couple of weeks. He said if the swabs are negative then they will clean her up, try and find out what it was that caused it, and do a guttural flush and all should be ok.

He was very positive on the phone yesterday that we are in the clear, does anyone know much about this blood test and how accurate it is, and has anyone been through this and will it all be ok? So worried for everyone else on the yard if it is strangles and the cost to them etc and the inconvenience. Glad our pony is getting better though.

be positive

Visit site
I have no idea how accurate the tests are views seem to differ on the results, the only time I had strangles on my yard, many years ago before testing was available, it presented in the first horse as a flu like virus with a high temp, snotty nose and cough with no real swelling of the glands, vet treated as flu, second horse had an 'abscess' under his jaw with no other symptoms and was fine with a bit of tlc and antibiotics, it was only when the third presented with all the obvious symptoms that we realised it was strangles, of the 10 I had in the yard only those 3 were affected, they were the 2 youngest, 1st and 3rd and the other was the least exposed to life generally, so I would take precautions to keep your others away and not rule it out completely.