Suspensory Branch Ligament

jo_wales_86

New User
Visit site
Evening all!

my horse is due to go back to the vets this Wednesday. 13 weeks post op. He had a tear in his left hind suspensory branch ligament and had PRP treatment. He has been on box rest the full 13 weeks and has been walked twice a day in hand for 10 mins.

has anyone else had this injury and if so did you horse return to full work?

we compete in all riding club activities and BSJA to 1m.

thank you in advance :)

Ceriann

Visit site
Mine had an injury to medial branch left hind. Also psd in left front (believed to be caused by compromised hind). No treatment just v slow rehab. Box rest for 6 weeks, then small paddock turnout for 6 months. Lots of walking in hand then under saddle. She was diagnosed 15 months ago and is now hacking well and schooling once a week. Best of luck - my main advice is don’t rush it.

SO1

Visit site
Not quite the same my pony had a strain rather than a tear so not so bad. He is on week 15 of box rest. He 12 weeks of walking 2 x day until he was doing an hour twice a day at week 10 he started hacking. He is now starting trotting & next week he will start turnout in a small paddock. We have a 20 meter horse walker on the yard so he has been doing a lot of the walking on that due to coronavirus. He also has also had ice spa's & some of his trotting is being done on water treadmill. I am only going to yard at weekends as trying to limit journeys so yard staff helping me. I am a livery on a yard with rehab facilities which has made things much easier to manage.

He will have 6 weeks of trotting & then start cantering. Not sure when he will be allowed in the big field with his friends again.

jo_wales_86

New User
Visit site
Mine had an injury to medial branch left hind. Also psd in left front (believed to be caused by compromised hind). No treatment just v slow rehab. Box rest for 6 weeks, then small paddock turnout for 6 months. Lots of walking in hand then under saddle. She was diagnosed 15 months ago and is now hacking well and schooling once a week. Best of luck - my main advice is don’t rush it.
No I know I have to take my time just wondering if he will come back to how he was. I think I’m slightly down because last year I had to retire a horse due to navicular and arthritis and this year this happened. Thank you and hopefully we will get back to how things were

jo_wales_86

New User
Visit site
Not quite the same my pony had a strain rather than a tear so not so bad. He is on week 15 of box rest. He 12 weeks of walking 2 x day until he was doing an hour twice a day at week 10 he started hacking. He is now starting trotting & next week he will start turnout in a small paddock. We have a 20 meter horse walker on the yard so he has been doing a lot of the walking on that due to coronavirus. He also has also had ice spa's & some of his trotting is being done on water treadmill. I am only going to yard at weekends as trying to limit journeys so yard staff helping me. I am a livery on a yard with rehab facilities which has made things much easier to manage.

He will have 6 weeks of trotting & then start cantering. Not sure when he will be allowed in the big field with his friends again.

that sounds positive! But means had 13 weeks box rest and walking in hand twice a day 10mins a time. He can’t use the horse walker as don’t want him turning on it too tightly! I’m hoping that we can start some in hand ridden work next!