Suspensory/coffin joint problems in eventer

qwerty123

Visit site
I may have the chance to take on an experienced event horse, but he received shockwave treatment on his suspensories last year and also had his coffin joints injected.
He has only ever been 1/10's lame in one hind leg, and has been back in work all winter and is being prepared for the current season. Vet has advised that he does not undertake much schooling, and doesn't jump much over 1m and to be mindful of ground conditions.

I would never ever be able to afford a horse of his calibre if he didn't have these problems, but I'm unsure whether it is unrealistic to expect him to do a handful of be90's a year, with a bit of hunting/hunter trialling over winter?

blackhor2e

Visit site
I suppose the risk of taking on an eventer with known joint problems are that they could possibly get worst. Did the vet indicate that the previous injury has 100% healed? Or is it a case of being well managed to prevent further injury?

I would be wary personally, but i am really fussy when it comes to legs, especially in event horses

qwerty123

Visit site
The suspensories have apparently fully healed but the coffin joint is early arthritic changes, he will need 6monthly/yearly injections in them

Pinkvboots

Visit site
How old is he? also there is no way that even a vet can tell how often a horse with arthritic changes will need the joints medicated it's a bit of a medicate and wait and see, and most I have known the time frame gets shorter and you won't be insured and it's not cheap that would be my main concern.

qwerty123

Visit site
Sorry I should have been more clear, he is currently 8 months since his last injections and is ok so far.
He is 13, has been competing at intermediate/2*

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
How much do they want for him? If he is free, and you will be prepared to put him down or retire him when things get too much, then it would be different than paying for him.

But the vet advice not to school is an issue, surely? How will you get to know him well enough to compete without schooling, and how bad is he if he won't stand up to schooling?

It sounds to me like he needs to go somewhere as a happy hacker, not a competitive or hunting home.

qwerty123

Visit site
He is free, so that's not an issue. They have advised that he can be schooled but not every day, more like once or twice a week.

I'm not sure, it does obviously concern me that he won't be able to stand up to what I want him to do, but at the same time if he is able to compete a handful of times a year then I would be happy... I have to juggle children, work and riding and competing so to have a horse that has been there and done it, would be a bonus.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Just to check suspensories were hind suspensorys?
which coffin joints are affected?
I would be cautious reading too much into the was only 1/10 lame as it sounds like it was bilateral.

bounce

Visit site
I would be cautious in the fact that you are considering entering BE events which need to be entered around 6 weeks in advance at approx. £70 a go not to mention the affiliation fee or the day tickets which are not cheap and you will not know what the ground will be like that far in advance. If the ground goes hard and it is not advisable to run him then you will lose your entry fee. If you were just considering unaffiliated competitions then it might be worth a gamble as less entries to lose.
I would speak to your farrier and take advice from them as well as the vet as corrective shoeing may also play a big part in keeping the horse sound.

lannerch

Visit site
My horse sounds very similar although he can school just not too many circles as a precaution. If he is free I would take the risk, yes you may loose the odd entry fee if the grounds too hard or too wet, but as long as you are prepared for then so be it.
If he does stay sound he'll be good!

X

xspiralx

If he is free and you're willing to be careful then it may be worth the risk. I guess the question is more are you prepared to PTS or willing to retire if he does break down - or to pay for what could end up being quite expensive further treatment?

I don't mean to sound gloomy, but I'm currently going through the heartbreak of a horse that has suspensory problems and despite treatment and rest is looking like he will have to be PTS anyway. So I would personally be very wary of taking on a horse with these issues, unless you are fully prepared to deal with the worst outcome if that should happen.