Suspensory injury and recovery time

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I posted before about kids' pony who did a front suspensory in May. He has been on box rest for over 3 months now with just hand walking, and is just starting postage stamp turnout. He is still quite lame. Not as dog lame as when he first did it, but definitely lame. Not what the vet was expecting to see at this point (according to the plan of rehab he was originally due to have started ridden work again a month ago but obviously that was shelved).

He is going back to the vets in a couple of weeks for another scan and vet has mentioned turning away for the winter.

Have never had to deal with an injury like this before and could do with some reassurance that he will come right. Has anyone else's taken far longer than expected, and still come sound?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
B did a front suspensory in February but it was just a tweak as opposed to a tear. Sent him away for three weeks to vets rehab spa where he had hydrotherapy every day and shockwave once a week. Last week there he was on the walker for 10 minutes each way per day and I then continued his walking when he came home. Back out with the boys after another three weeks and so far he has been sound and is now back in ridden work with small amount of trotting allowed. I am planning to send him (and DP) to Arden at some point for a weeks swimming to get his fitness back.

It's a slow process but the advice I got was the sooner you treat it the better the chance of recovery and as he was insured I threw everything at it. No guarantee he will stay sound but will cross that bridge if it happens.

OldNag

Visit site
Thanks LLA that is reassuring. I am glad yours is better.

Luckily ours is insured, and had shockwave and Cartophen straight away.

Vet was clearly expecting much quicker recovery, which has got me worried. I guess we have to see what the scans say. Ho hum at this rate by the time he recovers, my kids will have outgrown him :) At least he is handling his box rest well.

SEL

Visit site
Might be worth hiring an Arc Equine. I know the science isn't really there, but I've now seen 2 x rather miraculous recoveries when the horse starting wearing one. The first was a tendon injury, but the second was a tear in the suspensory which wasn't healing.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
My friend used IceVibe boots with her horse alongside conventional ice therapy in the form of ice cups which was started the first day of the horses initial injury. The vet said that it was the early intervention with the repeated use of the ice cups and the icevibe boot during rehab that made all the difference to her horses outcome and also time off work. Her horse sustained a suspensory branch injury.

OldNag

Visit site
Might be worth hiring an Arc Equine. I know the science isn't really there, but I've now seen 2 x rather miraculous recoveries when the horse starting wearing one. The first was a tendon injury, but the second was a tear in the suspensory which wasn't healing.

thank you. I have been offered the loan of one but my vet is sceptical and has issues with some of the claims they make in their marketing... so I have held off. He said it could do no harm though so maybe I should take up the offer.

OldNag

Visit site
My friend used IceVibe boots with her horse alongside conventional ice therapy in the form of ice cups which was started the first day of the horses initial injury. The vet said that it was the early intervention with the repeated use of the ice cups and the icevibe boot during rehab that made all the difference to her horses outcome and also time off work. Her horse sustained a suspensory branch injury.

Thank you - will ask vet about this as it has never been mentioned. I did cold hose when the injury first happened and it had not yet been diagnosed, but never used ice.

SEL

Visit site
thank you. I have been offered the loan of one but my vet is sceptical and has issues with some of the claims they make in their marketing... so I have held off. He said it could do no harm though so maybe I should take up the offer.

They don't quite claim ever lasting youth but not far off! Are you on Facebook? The PSD page has some useful ideas inc iceboots. If you can loan an Arc tho I would try one. The tendon injury I know was heading for a bullet and although its hard to prove anything, the Arc was the only difference in her management.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
One of mine did a front suspensory high up and was very lame for months, it was looking worrying but then almost overnight she came sound and within weeks she was back in nearly full work , minus jumping. That winter she was hunting full days and evented the following season at 90/100! still going strong. We box rested, cold hosed, did everything right but it didn't make much difference, so she was turned out for a couple of months and apart from a daily pamper, left alone regarding the injury. She was quiet in the field and only mooched around though, no hooning around and acrobatics from what I saw.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine did a hind suspensory basically tore a hole in it and had 5 months box rest and prp treatment, he was sound and the hole had healed and we started walking, to be honest 3 months rest doesn't sound that long for that sort of injury, mine was only allowed to come out of his stable for that time no walking and no turnout for the whole 5 months.

I just wanted to add I don't think I would turnout even if it's a tiny field if his still looking really lame I would speak to your vet and say his still looking lame.

Last edited:

OldNag

Visit site
Thanks PVB. Vet saw him this week and it was he who suggested turning away. He has had almost 4 months box rest now and this week has started going out into postage stamp turnout. I am increasing the turnout time very gradually.

He is going back to vets for more scanning in 2 weeks and I will know next step then. The actual injury is acute and was treated v quickly so vet was very positive about outcome initially. Vet also said front more likely to heal than a hind. So it is disheartening that it is not going as expected. .

Poor pony :(

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks PVB. Vet saw him this week and it was he who suggested turning away. He has had almost 4 months box rest now and this week has started going out into postage stamp turnout. I am increasing the turnout time very gradually.

He is going back to vets for more scanning in 2 weeks and I will know next step then. The actual injury is acute and was treated v quickly so vet was very positive about outcome initially. Vet also said front more likely to heal than a hind. So it is disheartening that it is not going as expected. .

Poor pony :(

I think after that much box rest the only option is turn away and see if mother nature can heal him, at least you will know more with the scans hopefully it's healed a bit but just needs time, it is miserable for them my horse couldn't go in a small field he would just buck and rear on the spot the little sod, I had to ride him before he got turned out that was fun!

I will keep fingers crossed for him let us know how the scans go.

OldNag

Visit site
I think after that much box rest the only option is turn away and see if mother nature can heal him, at least you will know more with the scans hopefully it's healed a bit but just needs time, it is miserable for them my horse couldn't go in a small field he would just buck and rear on the spot the little sod, I had to ride him before he got turned out that was fun!

I will keep fingers crossed for him let us know how the scans go.

Oh crikey no that doesn't sound like fun!

I think if vet says turn away, I will. Just hoping that a few months just being a pony (albeit a pampered one) will do the trick.

Glad yours mended well - worth all the hassle :D