suspensory ligament HELP

catherinep

Visit site
Call your vet! you don't say where you're based but your vet will be able to either scan with mobile scanner themselves or refer you.....
It is notoriously difficult to diagnose, but suggest bandage all 4 legs with support bandages (so quite firmly bandaged), box rest and await further instructions from your vet....

Depending on age of horse will determine the elasticity of the tendons/ligaments and therefore recovery time. It could be quite simple or it could be a long haul - get some advice asap and limit movement.

Good luck!!!

Catherine

ClaireH78

Visit site
I am based in South East stabled in Kent and we used Bell Equine. My horse is in fact going for a scan next friday as i think he may have done a ligament / tendon type injury.

evsj

Visit site
Most good equine vets will have a scanner and it is the only way to diagnose tendon injury for sure. I use Cinque Ports and have used Anvil near Horsham - both very good.

Symptons are usually a swelling or bow shape to the tendon (back or sideways). There may or may not be heat but the horse may not show any lameness at all. Mine strained hers last September and she wasn't unsound at all she just wasn't going forward as enthusiasticly as usual and she had a very slight bump on the tendon.

If you have any doubts - get the vet out cos the longer it is left the more likely a weakened tendon could end up being irreversably damaged.

summertoots

Visit site
Friends horse has just come back into work after an op on his suspensary ligaments. It was thought for a good few months that he had bone spavim.
He evented up to novice level and had a lovely honest clean jump, then he started to stop for no reason. It was in the end of october he had his op and he is looking ok now but he still has a long way to go, she is being positive though as we have another horse who also had the same problem and he is back in full work and looks 100% sound. Good luck with the scan, I hope all goes well.

Hattikins

Visit site
my pony slightly did a suspensory last summer, he started to stop jumping and he is a very honest jumper so we knew there was something wrong, he was sore when you squeezed his suspensory just under the knee and he was lame when trotting on a circle on soft ground with the bad leg on the outside

fizz-tally

Visit site
jay tweaked his messing about on his day off,he had hunted the day before
smirk.gif

he had some heat & swelling in it,had 1 year off & is now 100% sound & will be jumping again in the summer
grin.gif

Lynz25

Visit site
My Showjumper suddenly started stopping which was not like him at all. First it was felt that it was his back but then he went lame. He was operated on by Andy Bathe at Rossdales in Newmarket. Andy has done lots of research into suspensory ligaments and the options for treatment - he is very good - was involved in H&H article couple issues ago about ground contitions / menages etc.

star

Visit site
prognosis and signs depend on which part of suspensory is damaged. my horse had a strain of the very top part where it attaches to the cannon, properly known as proximal suspensory desmitis. no externals signs of heat or swelling and extremely mild lameness, much worse after flexion. he was diagnosed by O'Gorman, Slater and Main in Berkshire. Treated with shockwave and made full recovery - back in full work in 6 months.

franni

Champangne-KisSEs.bebo.com
my old horse had upper suspensory. he was so bold and forward, he would NEVER stop at a fence, and warming up for a hunter trial at munstead he was just galoping to get away from the pain, and simply crashing through jumps. i didnt take him x-c, and thank god. we got our vet (mike byers) out, and we gave willow shock wave treatment and then gave him the good dr green-grass treatment (after taking him to liphook equine hospital for scanning) we then sold him for a very small amout to the most perfect home in suffolk. he gets hacked at weekends by a small adult (he was a large 14,2) and has even got back up to jumping 3"+. although it was very sad to see him go, it was the best option and he has given quite a nerveous rider alot of confidence. i rode him a few months ago and he's definately back to himself!

gd luck