Suspensory Ligament Operation

What do you have to take horse's about (travelling)

• Total voters

maisiebo

Visit site
Hi my mare had an operation on her suspensory ligament yesterday. Saw her yesterday evening after the operation seems to be ok on too many pain killers to tell how she really is at the moment. My vet has recommended keeping her at the clininc 2 months. she will be exercised using an aquatrainer. Can anyone tell me how long they kept their horse with the vet after this type of operation and how long the recovery period was before they started to ride.

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
My horse has a problem with his hind suspensory ligaments and I was told by the vet that if he were to have the op he would have to be on box rest for 4 months. I don't know if that would be at the clinic or home or if different cases have different prognoses.

Alibear

Visit site
My horse came home 3 days post op which was a bit sooner than usual but we were close by and they were fed up with my twice daily visits
smile.gif

He had 3 months box rest but 6 weeks in we were walking him out in hand twice a day.

After box rest he was allowed short periods out in his paddock as long as he was sensible and didn't hoon about.

Gradually increased that until he was out all day (took about 2 months) and were still walking out in hand to.

Then started walking work, 1 month walking work in the arena starting off with 10 mins and building up to 45 mins

After that started intoducing trot but decreased the work to 30 mins total and built back up to an hour over the course of a month

Then introduce the canter work and at the end of that month was pronounced fit and able.

Op in Jan full work was signed off as fine end of June.

(so hope it adds up)

He suffered a slight set back this year and the aqua treadmill as suggested and did help.

But he's developed bad navicular infront and is now retired.

Good luck with your chap. I was impressed by the treadmill but it will be very expensive keeping him at the clinic that long won't it?

maisiebo

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. It was the vets suggestion keeping her at the clinic but I am keen to get her home as soon as she can start walking in hand. I am unable to transport her to the aquatrainer due to work commitments so it makes sence keeping her at the vets. I think it will be expensive keeping her there but it should'nt cost anymore than I already pay to keep her stabled. I will drive to see her daily and as soon as she is fit enough I will take her home. Miss her already
confused.gif
have two other horses to keep me busy but it feels like somthing missing.

Tempi

Visit site
my friends horse came home a week after the op, had 2months total box rest (not even out of stable to be tied up) then 5mins walking once a day, gradually increased over 8months, now shes just starting trotting and mare is sound - had last vets visit the other day and hes given her the thumbs up.

star

Visit site
assuming she had the nerve cut, the ones i have seen have all been sent home after a few days on box rest for a couple of months then turnout for a few months before slowly bringing back into work.

sadowner

Visit site
Hi there, my gelding has recently had the fasciotomy and neurectomy op (6 weeks ago) and is unfortunately still lame. It was the last resort after a long 11 months of nothing seeming to work, he had shockwave treatment on his back at first and that did help for a while, but the back pain was secondary to the suspensories. The shockwave on his suspensories didnt work, nor did the various injections into his hind legs. My vet and physio do not appear to be hopeful of a recovery as he is still lame now. Can anyone help with advice or good stories of the op working even when the nerve blocks etc didnt. He came home after 4 days at the vets and I was told to start walking straight away, although he didnt go out into the field until 4 weeks later. Does anyone have positive feedback for hyrdotherapy, msm, magnetic boots etc. I have read alot on the vet site but am not sure where to turn now, the insurance time has run out but I will try to do whats best for my horse. Thanks hopefully

star

Visit site
sadowner - did your horse not block out do that specific nerve block then? because there's no way the op can work if numbing that nerve doesn't kill the pain. cutting it wont make any difference - am surprised it was done if he didn't block out, even as a last resort. i'm not sure you have any options now other than to turn him away and see if rest will fix him. my hrose came sound with shockwave when he had it in his right hind, but i did also use MSM and magnetic boots on him.