Suspensory ligament surgery - opinions??

Jesse_sd

New User
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the operation performed on horses' hind suspensory ligaments of cutting the nerve? I know three horses who've had it done and in all the cases it has caused undue stress without significant success. I'm just trying to get as much information and opinions about this operation before I decide whether its the right route to go with my horse, so if anyone knows anything about this surgery, especially first hand experience of it, I would be so grateful to hear it.
Thanks

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
Hi, I've not had any experience of having it done. I know that there are people on here who have had it done and with success.

My boy is currently being rehabbed for Chronic hindlimb psd.

Is yours chronic or acute?

lensmith7

Visit site
We had the op 2 weeks ago now.

All I can say, is there was no stress, in our case, Josie was on box rest for 2 weeks, and we're already walking out twice a day in hand for 15 mins. She is totally sound, and I wouldn't change the way she's been treated for the world!
smile.gif

I believe that agressve forms of treatment is the best possible option, ie neurectomy and/or stem cell/plasma injection which my mare has also had. Obvioulsy this costs money, but if horse is insured, and the ijury is the right part of ligament, ie proximal, high up, then I'd say go for it.

Any q's you've got, feel free to pm, cant promise I'll be able to answer, but I can tell you about our experience at least x x x

BeckyD

Visit site
My horse just got back from hospital last night following PSD surgery a week ago. He's very stressed but then he always is (this is Ronnie, after all!) and he's been on box rest (or gentle exercise rehab whilst on box rest) for 7 months so I can't blame him. My friend's horse had the surgery and it was a complete success and no problems were encountered. A lady at my yard's horse had the same op but her horse didn't really come right and then other ligaments broke down (as I udnerstand it) and he very sadly had to be PTS.

I understand the success rate is 70%, but the biggest detractor from a higher success rate is misdiagnosis - i.e. that was never the problem so treating it won't work.

Tamski

Visit site
My chap had the surgery two years ago and is now in full work and competing. He does everything he did before and has had no further problems.

Definitely the best option for him.

Good luck with what you decide

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
My first mare had chronic SL damage to both rear suspensory ligaments. I'd just decided against the op., when I found out it wouldn't be an option for her anyway
frown.gif
. She went downhill very fast - two weeks after the diagnosis she couldn't stand to stale properly and turning small circle was not possible.

Which vet is looking after your horse?