Suspensory Ligaments and Ringbone

Horsey87

Visit site
I have just had the heartbreaking news yesterday that i should retire my mare due to the failing of the suspensory ligaments in one of her back legs and ringbone in both back legs.

She is only 12 years old.

He hasn't prescribed any long term treatment/medication as he doesn't think it will help and she is not insured for these conditions. She is currently fed Naf Superflex and Naf Devils relief at the recommended doses everyday. She is pretty lame at the moment, but still on 10 hours daily turnout.

Has anyone got any suggestions or experiences of these conditions that may help us?

ImogenBurrows

Visit site
I have just had the heartbreaking news yesterday that i should retire my mare due to the failing of the suspensory ligaments in one of her back legs and ringbone in both back legs.

She is only 12 years old.

He hasn't prescribed any long term treatment/medication as he doesn't think it will help and she is not insured for these conditions. She is currently fed Naf Superflex and Naf Devils relief at the recommended doses everyday. She is pretty lame at the moment, but still on 10 hours daily turnout.

Has anyone got any suggestions or experiences of these conditions that may help us?

I certainly see many horses such as this - and I personally have found NSAIDs to provide some relief for these problems. I realise that long term drug administration is not perfect and can be costly, but I think worth considering as a trial. If you find her quality of life is improved then it may be the lesser of two evils.

A good discussion on long term bute adminisitration was on here not long ago and is probably worth a trawl through. http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=403097&highlight=long+term+bute

Good luck,
Imogen