Sussex folks - livery recommendations

HashRouge

Visit site
Hi all,
I know there are quite a few Sussex based members so thought I might as well post and see what comes up! I am tentatively keeping an eye open for livery in the area (may need to move from current location). Can anyone recommend me any decent yards within approx 20 min drive of Portslade? I work in Brighton, so would also consider something out the east side of town - i.e. Rottingdean, Falmer.
Only requirement is good grazing, although I do have a mare and gelding that really need to be kept together, so strict single-sex turnout is tricky!
Thanks in advance :)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
1641306566070.png1641306595933.png1641306648781.png1641307004526.png1641307161565.png1641307241719.png1641307294354.png

Just a couple I screenshotted from Facebook as I tend to keep an eye out on what's about, all on West Sussex Liveries or South East Grazing. I have no personal experience of them but a friend loved Kings Barn (Steyning).

If you are willing to come over to Worthing there is Long Furlong Farm (always full but incredible yard), Hangleton (thorough viewing required), there's Truleigh Manor Farm in Henfield (which is either DIY or grass, thoroughly recommend), Eastridge in Bolney (looked lovely but not enough turnout for me in winter), Albourne Equestrian Centre (good facilities, nice people, limited hacking), Kents Farm in Burgess Hill, there is also a lovely livery in Steyning bowl that I can't remember the name of right now! New Barn Farm is in Portslade too but I have also never been there. The Old Racecourse at lewes has just come under new management.

There is also Wootton Farm Stables near Plumpton College that I can recommend, I used to be there when I worked in Brighton, it's north and up over the downs. Great all round there, the lady that runs it couldn't be more amazing! I'll never forget when I was sat having a bit of a cry late one evening when my horse was unwell, and her partner came out of the property with a glass of wine for me.

ETA: Sorry, keep editing it as I think of more! Caveat that the notes are from my knowledge of the yards through others other than the two stated, I am not a serial yard hopper!

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They all look so nice I wish I lived near them the livery round here is pretty rubbish really, flexi livery is a really good idea so you can choose which 3 days to have full cover never seen that before.

HashRouge

Visit site
View attachment 85346View attachment 85347View attachment 85348View attachment 85349View attachment 85350View attachment 85351View attachment 85352

Just a couple I screenshotted from Facebook as I tend to keep an eye out on what's about, all on West Sussex Liveries or South East Grazing. I have no personal experience of them but a friend loved Kings Barn (Steyning).

If you are willing to come over to Worthing there is Long Furlong Farm (always full but incredible yard), Hangleton (thorough viewing required), there's Truleigh Manor Farm in Henfield (which is either DIY or grass, thoroughly recommend), Eastridge in Bolney (looked lovely but not enough turnout for me in winter), Albourne Equestrian Centre (good facilities, nice people, limited hacking), Kents Farm in Burgess Hill, there is also a lovely livery in Steyning bowl that I can't remember the name of right now! New Barn Farm is in Portslade too but I have also never been there. The Old Racecourse at lewes has just come under new management.

There is also Wootton Farm Stables near Plumpton College that I can recommend, I used to be there when I worked in Brighton, it's north and up over the downs. Great all round there, the lady that runs it couldn't be more amazing! I'll never forget when I was sat having a bit of a cry late one evening when my horse was unwell, and her partner came out of the property with a glass of wine for me.

ETA: Sorry, keep editing it as I think of more!
This is fabulous, thank you! Truleigh Manor sounds like exactly what I'm looking for - I might have a drive over that way this weekend!
It's tricky, I've been at my current place for ages and it has been great by and large, but certain things are just not working for me at the moment.
My share horse is over Plumpton way so Wootton Farm may also be worth a look, along with a couple of others you mentioned. Hacking doesn't matter to me as both mine are retired :)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Ahh retirees, in that case Truleigh Manor would suit you down to the ground. They have a 33 acre field which is just for the grass DIY liveries, they have a yard you can bring them onto if need be with hose etc and a school you can do bits in if you like liberty etc. You can feed in the field or bring them in to feed but the yard is across a road, which isn't super busy. They never run out of grass but the first winter I was there they did put out big 200kg hay bales that they grow onsite so it's catered for if need be. They run up to about 12 horses on it I think and I believe there are spaces. They also have a lady that will cover them for the day for £3 per AM/PM. There are a mixture of ridden horses and retirees in it, mixed herd. There is also a field shelter but lots of natural shelter also, code locked gate for entry. They have the top yard which is DIY with a stable, I don't think there are spaces on there.

Wootton doesn't have the acreage for out 24/7 retirees, and offers an assisted stabled DIY (they call it part livery but it's not really as you still much out, or this was the arrangement when I was there a few years ago now). They do have AYTO though and full facilities.

There is also a grass retirement livery being offered if that would suit in Ashurst by Jenny Edgley on FB, I've heard good things about her yard.

HashRouge

Visit site
Ahh retirees, in that case Truleigh Manor would suit you down to the ground. They have a 33 acre field which is just for the grass DIY liveries, they have a yard you can bring them onto if need be with hose etc and a school you can do bits in if you like liberty etc. You can feed in the field or bring them in to feed but the yard is across a road, which isn't super busy. They never run out of grass but the first winter I was there they did put out big 200kg hay bales that they grow onsite so it's catered for if need be. They run up to about 12 horses on it I think and I believe there are spaces. They also have a lady that will cover them for the day for £3 per AM/PM. There are a mixture of ridden horses and retirees in it, mixed herd. There is also a field shelter but lots of natural shelter also, code locked gate for entry. They have the top yard which is DIY with a stable, I don't think there are spaces on there.

Wootton doesn't have the acreage for out 24/7 retirees, and offers an assisted stabled DIY (they call it part livery but it's not really as you still much out, or this was the arrangement when I was there a few years ago now). They do have AYTO though and full facilities.

There is also a grass retirement livery being offered if that would suit in Ashurst by Jenny Edgley on FB, I've heard good things about her yard.
Thanks lovely, that's really helpful!