Swales Pelham.....and showing

royal

Visit site
Hi all,

I've been recommended this bit as a possible for my horse (by the bit bank), but I have never seen one 'in real life' before and have no knowledge of them...

So could someone give me to low down please??

Harsh or not? Effect? etc...

Also, can you show at county level in them?

Thanks v. much

trendybraincell

Visit site
I haven't ever used one personally, so don't know an awful lot about them. But they are quite popular in the show ring, I think they are a little more controversial at lower levels as some people think they are harsh...but then lets face it any bit is harsh in the wrong hands.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Durham

Visit site
Our little Welsh cob used to go beautifully in the show ring in a Swales and could be ridden with a very light hand, whereas in an ordinary pelham he was prone to poke his nose and also tank off sometimes if the class galloped.
The Swales has no poll action and works through the snaffle rein moving the bit back and down in the mouth and onto the bars, while the curb rein brings the curb chain into effect. The pony is much better schooled now and we don't need it - he mostly concentrates on dressage anyway - but we were very pleased with the Swales at the time.
I think it's worth getting a bit on trial if you can, to see whether it suits or not. This particular pony of ours always prefers a ported bit, whereas I was brought up to think a ported bit was more severe. He also definitely dislikes poll pressure, so the Swales was good for him.

royal

Visit site
Thanks for that guys.
My horse has a mullen mouth pelham (goes terribly in jointed ones), but her head carriage is far too low in it and she has taken to leaning and bearing down so much that the whole front end of the horse disappears - no amount of working her up to the bridle makes any difference!! Swales has been recommended over something like an NS waterford pelham which was my original idea, as she is easy to stop and has good brakes...
I know the bit bank hire them out so may well give it a try....

royal

Visit site
Sorry, light contact = nose 2 inches off the ground and over the 5 years we have schooled regularly and included transitions as a matter of course as well as pole work. Whilst they have helped with some things, they haven't helped with this!

splash30

Visit site
Yes you can show at county level with them, a lot of showing people do.

I have used them in the past and really liked it, if you google swales you will get pics of them up, as Durham says no poll action just mouth and curb.

I also have tried the waterford pelham but horse did not agree with it but goes lovely in the waterford snaffle!!!!!

If you can try before you buy i would as now i have a very good assortment of bits, i also love a Sam Marsh mines goes very well in it.