Swallows

cindars

Visit site
Has anyone got any swallows yet,we missed them last year and looks like we may miss them this year as well.

windswoo

Visit site
Had our house martins since end of April, sounds like something has happened to the nesting sites around by you if they haven't come back?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We didn't have any last year and haven't seen many flying around locally this year, so were very surprised to find fledglings flying around in our stable block, practising before braving the outside world where magpies lurk.

Ratface

Visit site
We've got swallows, but far fewer than usual.
Probably not helped by the persistent Wrong Direction Wind. :( :(

Esmae

Visit site
We had 2 pairs arrive in April. They both have built nests. 1 adult was found dead and the 3 caried on and were feeding a brood but I think the brood all died. Wondered if it was avian flu? 3 are still flying about and seem to be in and out of the stable again so hoping for a second successful brood.

PurBee

Visit site
Yes, loads, theyre pooping on my tools and equipment in the barn as i type! 😂 They eat midges, they are very welcome..😁

paddy555

Visit site
yes we have all your swallows. Please have them back. :D We had at least 40 back, twice our usual number. Then another lot arrived. So they have spent the last 6 weeks fighting over nests as there aren't enough and "compromise" is out of the question.:rolleyes: Never known them to be so argumentative. Ousted our poor resident sparrows.

That stopped last night when one youngster fell out of a nest. We did try to help it but it was too weak and we gave up on the 3rd time putting it back . Then they turned their anger on me. Not sure if it was in grief or fury. So many in the small space of the stables swooping down on me. All of them but at least it stopped them arguing amongst themselves for a while. Very surprised to see them all come together like that over a death. Usually it is only the parents.

We seem to have a very odd bunch this year and far too many for them to be comfortable with themselves and also far too tame because they live in such a small area and so close to us. There were well over 100 on the wire last Sept. before they left and most seemed to think they were ours.

Very strange and different from usual.

NinjaPony

Visit site
My resident swallows returned to their nest in my storage stable as usual and I’ve got several baby birds watching me now! It’s lovely to have them here, even if they do make a mess.

Nicnac

Visit site
My housemartins came back a few weeks ago and took up residence in my horse's stable. They then opened an Air BNB and seem to be doing a good business with 3 nests in his stable.

Mr NicNac is on a Greek Island and has 3 swallow nests outside his room so maybe they've given up on the UK and taken up residence abroad - always knew they were clever things swallows!

First Frost

Visit site
Mine returned in April. they have repaired their nest from last year and are currently rearing 5 babies who should fledge in the next 10 days. They usually have a second brood, but i always worry that they will be a bit young to fly south, having only had a couple of weeks practice.

Cowpony

Visit site
Ours arrived at the end of April and I was putting all the hair my mare was shedding on the floor outside her stable so they could come and get it for their nests. They all squabble over it!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yes, loads of them. Watching them swooping about in my garden as we speak. Issue is they always nest in our sheds and my tackroom - they chucked one of their babies out of the nest again this year onto my tackroom floor, we put gloves on and put it back into its nest hoping itd be ok but I found it a couple of days ago back on the floor dead, poor thing. Same thing happened last year. They poop on all my stuff though so wish they wouldnt nest there!

Ive got a blackbird causing an issue in my horse trailer at the moment. I took the horse out last week and on arriving found smashed eggs all over my tack locker, I hadnt seen theyd made a nest right above my light! Felt really bad, but all eggs gone so I dismantled the nest as soon as I got home. 2 days later they'd rebuilt it again! So I took it down yet again yesterday and they've started rebuilding for a 3rd time! Just have to keep going out daily and removing any signs of the new nest. I cant have them in there, Im using the trailer again tomorrow and cant have eggs getting smashed everywhere in transit (and presumably being away all day away from their mum!). Not sure how to block up their access in... (bateson so open bottom of window and all along the top of ramp theres a gap). They're also pooping all over my tack locker shelf and all over the floor, its horrible.

meleeka

Visit site
Mine hatched yesterday. After hoping they’d nest in my stable again, I’m now stressing that they’ll get too hot and jump out like they did last year. I do love their chatter.

honetpot

Visit site
We have a new pair, they spent over a week looking for somewhere, including trying a dislodged roof tile, and flying into the house through the Velux window. I caught the one in the house before the dogs got it, it was so small and light.
They are now in the feed room, the first attempt at a nest it fell off, so they have started again.

cindars

Visit site
Aren't you all lucky,every year they have nested in our stables hope they haven't been put off by the buzzards and occasional kite

BBP

Visit site
After my successful efforts last year at keeping 5 babies alive in the 40 degree weather, we now have 2 families, all hatched and growing well. I’m hoping they can get through the warm weather this week without all the rigmarole of last year!

(For all those with hot swallows, last year I rigged mini fans up in the rafters, powered by car batteries, then hung bottles of frozen water in between the fan and the nest so the cool air would blow over them. Plus I misted them with cool water and placed the silver car windscreen protectors on the roof above the nests to reflect some of the heat from the sun)

Thundering

Visit site
They have built a nest in my mobile shelter. Dont think they have eggs yet but I was hoping to move the shelter soon. Not far but just down the field a bit. will probably have to wait now.