Swamp Fever confirmed in Cornwall

jrp204

Visit site
Its scary. The trouble is down here we have very mild winters with midges often still being around in December which makes the risk of spreading so much higher.
Not sure if the infected horse had been imported??

mtj

Visit site
BBC state that the horse was imported from Belgium 5 years ago. Authorities now trying to trace its movement within UK.

firm

www.blacklaw-stud.com
The horses in 2010 with swamp fever in Devon - were they from Belgium and imported two years previously. I wondering if there is a link? I can't find though the info on those cases.

joeanne

Visit site
The horses in 2010 with swamp fever in Devon - were they from Belgium and imported two years previously. I wondering if there is a link? I can't find though the info on those cases.

No....that was Wiltshire.
On a dealers yard. Dealer in question imports horses regularly from Belgium and France.
In fact I think an HHO'er had bought a horse from him at around that time, and had a few sleepless nights over it.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Feel so sorry for all you Cornwall peep's. This must be awful for all of you.

My traddie boy has sweet itch, and because of this has to wear a SI rug; so....... (brain working), IF this is a disease which is (in the main) caused by biting insects, then presumably using a SI hoody & mask etc would help a great deal in making sure the horse didn't get bitten in the first place????

We've also had a really bad year for horseflies (which apparently also carry it in their bites): I can't ever remember a year quite like it for the s@dding things, so maybe that's an issue as well as?

Vizslak

Visit site
ive never known a year like it for horseflies either, even the dogs have been eaten alive out walking this year, I dont recall EVER having seen a horsefly bite a dog before this season